iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new home for a very special mill

Started by scsmith42, November 11, 2013, 06:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Long time members of the Forestry Forum are well versed with the very special contributions made by long time member Tom Cadenhead of Florida.  Tom was one of the earliest members of the Forum, and when I first joined back in 2005 he took the time to reach out to me and thank me for some of the initial  thoughts, perspectives and contributions that I shared on the Forum.  As a new member (and not knowing how my contributions were received by some of the older members), Tom's act of kindness made me feel not only welcome, but appreciated, and I remember them to this day. 

Those who knew Tom recognized that he had a rare gift of clarity of thought combined with intelligent – yet down to earth perspectives.  Coupled with a gift for writing and a penchant for kindness, he was a special person that everybody wanted to spend time with.  He just had a unique and thoughtful manner about him, and his death in October of 2011 was a tremendous loss for all of us.

A long time miller, in 2007 Tom received a new Baker 3638D mill while at the Sawlex show in South Carolina.  This mill was a surprise to Tom; it was a replacement for an earlier model Baker that his wife Gael and the folks at Baker arranged for him to receive and he had no idea that this extraordinary gift awaited him at the show.  I had the good fortune to attend the Sawlex Show and to not only meet Tom, Raider Bill, Ivey, Metal Spinner, Jeff and Tammy as well as some other members; I also got to see Tom's new mill in person before Tom was aware that it was going to be his.  The size and features of it were impressive, and I never forgot it.

Fast forward to October of 2013, when an opportunity to increase my sales arose which necessitated the expansion of production, so I started the process to acquire an additional mill.  From the time that this opportunity first arose, I thought of Tom's mill and wondered if Gael had ever sold it.  I reached out to Tom's brother Charlie, and he kindly put me in touch with Gael and I learned that not only did she still have the mill, prior to my call it was only within the last week or so that she had reached the decision of being able to let it go to a new home.  For Gael, the mill was a daily reminder of Tom and through it she felt his presence after his death.  Fortunately for me, Gael wanted the mill to go to someone who knew and appreciated Tom, and my contact was quite timely for both of us. 

My brother in law and nephew live a few hours away from Gael, and they traveled to her home to take some photos and provide me with some initial information about the mill.  The mill was a little bit overgrown, but not too much.

Subsequently a deal was struck between Gael and I, and during the last week of October my brother Jeff and I traveled to Florida to do some maintenance; bring the mill (which I call "Tom) back to life, load it up and transport it back to my farm in North Carolina.   

Tom was a little "set in his ways" so to speak, and if you look closely at the photo you will note that initially he didn't want to leave home....

Fortunately he relented, and we were able to get him loaded up on my trailer.  Due to the unknowns about his condition, I felt it best to trailer him back to NC as opposed to towing him.  It's a good thing that I have a long trailer; my deck length is 37' and Tom is over 35' long; filling up the entire trailer!

On our way home we stopped by the Navy Cemetery to see Tom's grave (in the forefront of the photo) and say a prayer, and it was an emotional moment for all of us.

After spending several days going over everything, cleaning off rust, resetting tolerances and replacing a few  parts that had deteriorated, this afternoon I fired "Tom" up and together we milled a couple of southern yellow pine logs.  It is great to see him back in action after his long rest.

Although technically I am now the owner of the mill, in my mind and in my heart it will always be "Tom's Mill".   My sincere thanks go out to Charlie for putting me in touch with Gael, and to Gael for allowing me to become the new steward for "Tom".  Additionally I really appreciated the assistance from my brother Jeff (RockingJL on the FF) for helping with loading and transport (and his grading skills too!), and my brother in law Kevin and nephew Chris for doing the initial recon.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Nomad

I was fortunate enough to run that mill, and I'm surely glad to see it's gotten a new home with someone who appreciates both the mill and the previous owner.  Congratulations on your purchase!  I'm sure it'll give you many hours of great service. smiley_thumbsup
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

OneWithWood

Very glad the mill found a home with someone that appreciates its history.
Use it well, Scott.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is one of the most touching stories I have ever read, Scott.
Talk about keeping memories alive....you are very lucky my friend.
Let the sawdust fly in the name of Tom.
I'm proud of you and so are the rest of us.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I'm glad to see Tom's mill has a great new home.  8) I think Tom would be happy to know the mill was off on a new adventure as well.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

That was nice gesture that you stopped in to show Tom his mill. Need more men like you in this world.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Scott
Great Job!

I did not know Tom but gather from others posts he was a fantastic person!  Your posts I have read indicate his mill is in great hands.

Great story, great job! 

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

kelLOGg

Congrats, Scott. I know Tom would be pleased to have you as the new owner.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Holmes

It is great to hear Tom's Tom has a new home.  8)
Think like a farmer.

isawlogs

Félicitation,
   I am so happy to hear that Tom's mill has a sweet new home to call home.   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ddcuning

Awesome story Scott. Glad so see a mill like that go to someone with such an appreciation for it.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Bill Gaiche

Oh man, what a story. If this won't bring a tear to your eye then nothing will. The photo at the cemetery did me in. Glad that you are the one to take Tom on a new journey for I know Tom will be smiling every time the sawdust starts to fly. bg

beenthere

A very heart warming story, and a great feeling that "Tom" is back on the job. Many thanks for your pursuit and success.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Thank you Scott for sharing this bit of history, present, and future.  I am certain that you will be the proper caretaker of this piece of FF antiquity.  Tom would be proud.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

:'(  Here's to many happy years of milling for you and Tom. smiley_beertoast
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

AdamT

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

WDH

I have wondered about Tom's mill, and I am very pleased to see that you now have it, Scott. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ayerwood

Awesome story!  That's all I can say.  Awesome story!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

I saw "Tom Cadenhead" on the mill, wonder what the whole thing said.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sprucebunny

Congratulations, Scott. I think Tom's mill has gone to the right home.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

customdave

Scott                                                                                                                   Good  job, I would have liked to have met Tom in person, but just conversing through this form with tom on a few occaisions, I'm sure Tom is proud his mill has a good new home! Take care of Tom & God Bless Scott....                                                   Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

mikeb1079

:) :) :) 8)

that's a fine story and mill to boot!!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Thank You Sponsors!