iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill & Lumber Industry Shows?

Started by sawmill_john, September 14, 2002, 12:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

I'm curious, what are some good shows to go to in your own neck of the woods, we're out here in the pacific northwest and its a long way to travel to the east coast.  We (mobile mfg co)have a demo mill that we're taking to 4 shows this fall (WI, KY, WV, OH) and maybe more if we can schedule them.  I would be interested to hear from any one on the forum.  I'm hoping that we can make it out to the shoot out this next year.  I'd also like to hear about shows that were not so good! :'(

sawmill_john

Tom

In my opinion, the best show in the S.E. is held every October in Moultrie, Georgia.

http://www.sunbeltexpo.com/

Jeff

Logging congress this year was in madison WI for the first time. It was a huge disapointment to me. NO PEOPLE! I thought Madison was a political choice and a mistake when I heard about the location announcement well over a year ago.

Next years congress will be in Escanaba Michigan, and it will be HUGE. Escanaba is in the heart of the industry here and will draw as it always has huge crowds. I cant wait till next year, mostly because its only 6 hours away instead of 12!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawmill_john

Jeff from what Don and Steve said, Madison was not a good choice and was there also a lack of advertising or is it just poor area to have a lumber show?

Tom we've attended the Georgia show before but its been about 10 years ago, and as of mid july the show was full, we're tring to get in, so you might see us there!

sawmill_john

Jeff

John, I think it was just a poor place. And maybe advertising. Everybody I knew that usually goes just did not go because of where it was at. I think they basically lost most of Michigan plus Canada by holding it so far south. I think they felt they would pull up more from Indiana and Illinois but I they didnt know about it. Escanaba will be very different. Better make your hotel reservations now!

One other factor could be this was a rough business year for the Industry in this area. I heard that repeatedly from folks that were there.

I got to sit and talk with Don for a little while did he tell you?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawmill_john

Here is a quick update on a few shows we've attended over the last weeks.  The Kentucky Wood Expo was a well organized show with a fair attendance, good people, so so logs, all they had for us to cut was some poplar and maple.  It was HOT and STICKY we are not used to that stuff.  No sales from this show yet.
   The West Virginia Timber Show was kind of disapointing, there is so much timber in the state but not much interest in utilizing it at least that was our take from the turn out.  It was in the middle of the state and there is not much around where the show was held.  I do have to say it is  beautiful country!  I got to cut a great red oak log that broke down into some really nice boards, I wish I could have brought them home!
  This friday, Saturday, & Sunday  we'll be at the Nelsonville OH, so if any one wants to check out the MDS come on down to Nelsonville.  

samill_john

Fla._Deadheader

Hi John. Will you be in Moultrie, Ga.?
  I sawed on one of your early mill, back in 1980. It belonged to a Jim Felton. Said he was the one that developed it ????

Tom, you going to Moultrie? Would like to meet ya, and any others that might be there.  Give me some means to ID ya,     Harold
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

I hope to be there the second day and will be wearing my Forestry Forum hat or my Timber Buyer Network hat.  I'll be hanging around the sawmills, old tractors or dog trials most of the time, I expect.  If I firm this thing up for sure where I can put some times on it, Maybe we can meet somewhere at a certain time.  DanG's going to be there too.  

I look forward to meeting y'all.

Weekend_Sawyer

Does anyone know of a site that has a show schedule listed?

I'm in Maryland and would like to go to some.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fla._Deadheader

Tom, what day would be the second day? I had planned on the 17th, Thursday.  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Correction, the conference runs from the 15th thru the 17th.  I'll be there the 16th.   http://www.sunbeltexpo.com/
I guess the 17th it is.   I thought it was the 16th but was confused.  The first day, a lot of the exhibits aren't set up.  The second day it is in full swing.  The third day, a lot of them pack up early.

I'll probably leave Jacksonville around 4:30 and eat breakfast in the Shoney's at Valdosta around 7 or 7:30  That'll put me at the Fairgrounds by 9am

I don't go to these things trying to keep a rigid schedule, It's supposed to be fun and I see things on the way that distract me.  If I don't worry about gate opening times then I have a lots better time. Heck, 5 or 6 hours of walking a fairground is work. :D

sawmill_john

Harold, I don't think we'er getting in to that one they we at capacity the last time we spoke to the show, We've already made arangments to store the demo mill back in OH, after the Nelsonville OH show going on right now!  Maybe next year we'll get our rears in gear and get register on time!

John

Tom

Well you could still come to the show.

Have you thought about visiting as a spectator and bringing a bunch of business cards and brochures to pass around?  That wouldn't cost you but the admission, gas and a motel room.  

You could even visit with DanG, and I could visit with both of you. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Well, DanG !!!! I can't make it on the 16th. Riding the river with the EPA guy. He needs to see that it's still there, before we get our permit ! DanG DanG DanG  >:( :- :'( :o :(  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Well, durnburnit, Harold!  Why don't ya just tell the EPA guy to take a day of vacation on Wednesday, and bring him with you?  Y'all can ride the creek the next day, provided you don't lose his interest at one of the pesticide booths. Don't let him eat an ostrich-burger or a gator-tail hoagie, though. It'll spoil his disposition for a couple of months. :-[
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Dan, I wouldn't dream of not taking him to the RIVER. It's only been 2 months to get this far. Why the h*ll it takes so long for these people to get things done, is beyond me.

He said he has been busy going after illegal loggers. I told him that if they would get off their duff and get the permits issued, maybe everyone wouldn't feel they have to go illegal to get the logs !!!   No comment from him!!

Would have liked to meet anyone from the forum at Moultrie. Oh Well, maybe another time???  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!