iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uh oh. Sawmill purchase not turning out so well.

Started by AnthonyW, October 26, 2013, 01:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

I purchased a Woodmizer LT25 a few weeks back (private sale, not through WoodMizer). Long story short, the log ramps and leveling bar were with the mill and the owner mentioned he had the other pieces and extra bands at his house. He was going to be out of town and would get back to me. He did today. The boxes of bands were broken bands he was going to have repaired but never did. Also "at his house" should have been the log clamp and the toe board handle. Turns out he never had a log clamp and doesn't know about the toe board handle.

I will also contact WoodMizer to see if they sell those parts separately. But in the meantime, if anyone has an LT25 and wouldn't mind posting a few pictures of the log clamp and toe board handle in the event that I must fabricate them myself. It would be greatly appreciated. (P.S. please put something in the picture for scale please)

Thanks.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Jim_Rogers

I'm sure that they will sell you a log clamp.

I have one from my bed extension.
I'll try and post a photo of it later. Right now my smart phone battery is just about dead. and it's on the charger.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

And a good idea to register the mill with WM. They can give you an update on its past history then.
Congrats on the mill.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Here are the photos:

When you have a log on the mill you turn the handle so that the off center top half disc pushes on the log, and then you use the chain and hook it into the bar end slot.

Here is from the sawdust side of the mill:

And a closer shot of the holes and vertical bars:

Here is the bar on a timber:

And here is the bottom up:

I can't believe he lost the clamp bar. How did he saw any logs without a clamp?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

AnthonyW

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on October 26, 2013, 04:17:13 PM

I can't believe he lost the clamp bar. How did he saw any logs without a clamp?

Jim Rogers

Thank you Jim. He used the log turner to hold the logs in place. It turns out I am the third owner.

AnthonyW

Quote from: beenthere on October 26, 2013, 03:35:59 PM
And a good idea to register the mill with WM. They can give you an update on its past history then.
Congrats on the mill.

Thanks for that. I stumbled across the registration while researching the mill. They sent me a 'welcome package' of information, advertisements of accessories, and a couple of coupons.

Brucer

WoodMizer will sell you the missing parts. While you're at it, ask them for an operator's manual and a parts manual.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

AnthonyW

Quote from: Brucer on October 27, 2013, 11:57:34 PM
WoodMizer will sell you the missing parts. While you're at it, ask them for an operator's manual and a parts manual.

When I registered, they sent me some of the manuals (operator and engine), I had to call and request the rest (options and one other). That's how I figured out which parts I was missing.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Clamp W09412    $53.39

Log loading ramp W09014 $93.40 ech.

Log loading ramp kit K09466  $204.99  includes both ramps and hold down kit

Toe board crank handle A09432  $17.78

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

AnthonyW

Quote from: MartyParsons on October 28, 2013, 07:48:26 AM
Hello,
Clamp W09412    $53.39

Log loading ramp W09014 $93.40 ech.

Log loading ramp kit K09466  $204.99  includes both ramps and hold down kit

Toe board crank handle A09432  $17.78

Marty

Well hello there Marty. I called the 800 number this morning, and as I had already registered, a few clicks and the part numbers were found and the parts on their way. I was a little surprised (but very pleased) at how easily the parts were found for a machine that is 16 years old. Next to do, call the NY office (recommended by the gentleman at the 800 number) to selected a box of blades.

barbender

You can also go on Woodmizer's website, go to the blades section and they have a feature that will help you select blades based on what mill you have, engine HP, and wood type.
Too many irons in the fire

Seaman

I LOVE to see good customer service! Glad it's working out.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

AnthonyW

I debated making my own, but after the pictures I thought better of it and order the pieces. After receiving them, I'm glad I did. Holy smoke, the log clamp is huge!

I have some white pine on the ground ready to be milled. First I have to get the camper packed for winter then give the mill a once over (change the oil and filter, etc.). Then I will mill the pine. My brother has some huge maple and oak logs as well. We was going to make them into firewood, but he can't even cut them into rounds let alone get them on the log splitter.

I just hope the snow doesn't fly too soon.

Thank You Sponsors!