iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost a log

Started by Cedarman, March 30, 2008, 07:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

Yesterday my son Ian and I were hauling a load of old poplar logs from a log site. These trees were included in a cedar sale I bought.  Anyway the logs were a year old and 21 feet long. Have an order for some 21 foot beams.  We put them on the 16 foot trailer and headed out the forestry road.  The ends of the 20 footers were sticking out about 4 feet over the end of the trailer and would hit the road at times.  We had 2 straps and 1 chain cinched tight over the whole load.  We got to the gate to shut it.  Went around to the back and looked at the load.  Straps tight as could be.  Went to shut the gate and noticed that something didn't look right.  It looked like one log had deflated and the end was limply laying on the ground.  It was the wierdest looking thing I have seen.

What happened to the poplar log?  Well, it seems the bark had loosened up real good as old poplar logs will do and when the end of the log caught the road it just slipped right out of its skin.  When Ian went back to retrieve the loader, he found the log in a dip and pulled it back to the landing.

You never know what can happen.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Skip

Had almost the same thing happen once or twice,  :o  thats why they call em peelers. Makes for nice sawing though.  ;D

Danny_S

Must be a part of the snake family...heheh
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

zopi

Here we have a rare example of a poplar snake..

Where is Marlin Perkins when you need him?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Don_Papenburg

That would make on heck of a big wooden whistle.     Used to make them from spring saplings.  easiest to slip the bark off in the spring.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

gizmodust

Sounds like it knew what was coming and decided to make a slick get away :D
Always liked wood with alot of character

Thank You Sponsors!