iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

huqavarna 460 clutch needle bearing lubrication

Started by farmguy, May 22, 2016, 12:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmguy

I just got a 460 farm boss and I was reading the manual and it says to lube the bearing once a week with engine oil. The mix I assume. My dad has a 353 it says in the manual to use bar grease. My concern is the oil is too thin and wont last and is it ok to use the grease instead

sawguy21

There is really no need to grease the bearing that often, it only comes into play when the engine is idling.
I used a dab of bar grease, there is no seal to keep oil in, when I changed a sprocket.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stihlowner

Every now and then I give it some wheel bearing grease.
Saw is close to 30 years old and bearing is still fine and no marks on the crankshaft.
They do get some chain oil dripping off the bar.
Every time I grease the bearing it has bar oil on it.

Al_Smith

This is a subject with much controversy .Some say it's not a good idea to lube the bearing because the oil will draw fine bits of wood fibers clogging the bearing .

Stihlowner

After almost 30 years of greasing the bearing now and them I guess those little wood pieces are not hurting a thing.
Original bearing is still working just fine.

SawTroll

I assume the once a week statement is for people that run the all day every day.

Information collector.

Al_Smith

I chose the word"controversy" not meaning anything detrimental ,just merely stating  that people have different opinions about this subject .

It's about like the oil wars,peoples minds are made up and nothing will change them .Just so you know I've gotten into saws that the bearing was gummed up so badly I had to throw the clutch drum in a can of kerosine to be able to remove the bearing from the drum .However it's a matter of choice as to what person does with their equipment .I'm a non greaser and a 32 to one fuel guy myself .----I'm not going to change either ;D

John Mc

Al - Do you grease the clutch needle bearing when you first install a new one?  Most of the folks I know are like you - they don't grease this bearing on any kind of regular basis. I've not run into anyone who doesn't grease it when first installed. 

I don't add grease, but I do put on a light coating when I install a bearing.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

It comes with some type of oil on it new I think .I can only remember replacing a couple .

One was from a tree trimmer on an 036 Stihl they had lost the e-clip,lost the bearing and retainer and broke a clutch segment in the process .I had enough old parts with the exception of the bearing to get it going again .The only stuck ones I've encountered were inboard clutch drum types where you have to unscrew the clutch to get to them and those were not ruined .Just clean them up and run them .They are not nearly as easy to service as a Stihl .

farmguy

On my dads 353 you can grease the bearing with a tip greaser the end of the crank it has a hole drilled for it I think the 460 is the same but I haven't looked yet

Stihlowner

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 25, 2016, 06:54:50 PM
I chose the word"controversy" not meaning anything detrimental ,just merely stating  that people have different opinions about this subject .

It's about like the oil wars,peoples minds are made up and nothing will change them .Just so you know I've gotten into saws that the bearing was gummed up so badly I had to throw the clutch drum in a can of kerosine to be able to remove the bearing from the drum .However it's a matter of choice as to what person does with their equipment .I'm a non greaser and a 32 to one fuel guy myself .----I'm not going to change either ;D

I understand what you are saying about the bearing lube.

I also was a 32/1 fuel guy.
I then became a 50/1 fuel guy.
Now for the past 15 years I have been a 71/1 fuel guy.
I roll along with technology.

CTYank

The 455/460 manual says: pull the clutch cover, lay the saw on its side with clutch facing up, drip some oil toward the center of the clutch. It can trickle down to the bearing.
Never did this with the 455 I ran for 3 yrs. The shame!
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!