iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Stolen Sawmill: A happy ending and justice done!

Started by Mooney, February 03, 2012, 08:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooney

http://www.tribune-georgian.com/articles/2012/02/03/news/top_stories/1topstory2.3.txt

Found this article this morning online about a stolen sawmill that was returned to its owner in Georgia. Above is the article with a photo. Here's the article:

A $15,000 portable sawmill stolen between November and January has been recovered and returned to its owner.

On Jan. 25, deputies responded to a call from Winston Drury, who said the sawmill was missing when he went to a White Oak property to retrieve it. Drury also said he had given Shane Clinton Popham of Jesup permission to use the sawmill at the White Oak location. The investigation led detective Rick Thompson to Brantley County, where resident Johnny Wainright had listed himself as the new owner of the sawmill with Wood-Mizer, the manufacturer.

Wainright said he had purchased the sawmill in November from Popham and that he received a letter from Wood-Mizer advising him that the machine was stolen. As investigators spoke with Wainright at his residence on Jan. 31, Popham arrived on scene. He was arrested by Thompson for theft by conversion and transported to the Camden County Jail.

Meadows Miller

Mooney Thats a good news story Im happy he got his mi ll back  ;):) but you gotta feel for the poor bloke who brought it of the lowlife I hope he got his money back or at least some compensation Mate  ;)

I take it you can pre clear mills for people who are buying used Mate ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bugdust

Great news! Now put the bloodhounds back out looking for Jasperfield's mill stolen near the NC/TN line.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

thecfarm

Yes that is some good news. I was hoping it was Jasperfield. But any mill recovered is a happy mill.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Great news indeed!  :)

I guess it wasn't really public knowledge that this mill was stolen.

Now lets keep our hopes up that the Jasperfield sawmill is recovered.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Meadows Miller on February 03, 2012, 08:39:46 AM

Mooney Thats a good news story Im happy he got his mi ll back  ;):) but you gotta feel for the poor bloke who brought it of the lowlife I hope he got his money back or at least some compensation Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

Nope Wainwright is out the money he paid for it. Not much recourse for him. Glad the Owner got it back.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooney

Yeah, first thing I was hoping for when I saw the article was that it was Jasperfield's mill. Hopefully this article reminds us all to keep a weather eye out, and know that there are procedures in place that Wood-Mizer employees to help reunite mill and owner!

paul case

Good news indeed.
There is a lesson for the rest of us.
If looking at a woodmizer or any other mill, get those numbers, which are in plain view, and check them with the mfger before buying. It could save you from being in the middle of a big mess and being out a bunch of money.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Red Pill

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 03, 2012, 09:03:30 AM
Quote from: Meadows Miller on February 03, 2012, 08:39:46 AM

Regards Chris

Nope Wainwright is out the money he paid for it. Not much recourse for him. Glad the Owner got it back.

That Sucks Bill :( I would have just kicked his butt for good measure then before I let the police take him in ;) :D :D Just Proof that you need to check everything you buy and make sure it comes with the proper documentation  ;)

Magicman

The proper owner got his sawmill back which is good, but as RB noted, there are innocent victims like Wainwright that bore the actual loss.  He became the theft victim.   :-\ 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

The way I look at it is as follows:

1. Popham is in a bunch of trouble and has to make things right for stealing the mill from his friend.

2. Popham needs a few days in front of a judge to repay the money he received from Wainright.

I know that initially Wainright is just "out" the money that he gave Popham for the mill.  But, Wainright has a course of action to take in order to retrieve his money!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wannasaw

thats strange because I live 15 mi. from this crime and never heard. but two different fellows told me they had an opportunity to look at a WM for sale that was undervalued. I dont think either went to look. If I had known...Sure glad he got it back anyway. And sweet justice.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Magicman

Wainwright may have a legal recourse, but actually recovering damages from a crook is sometimes questionable.  Popham probably didn't have anything to begin with so it will probably be like getting the proverbial "blood out of a turnip".  I hope that I am wrong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

Around here it is " blood from a stone " and most of the time the person who bought it is out the money. Does Woodmizer publicly list the serial numbers of stolen mills? If those numbers were available I would check every mill I saw. 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Raider Bill

Maybe the Judge will order restitution as a part of the sentence or probation but chances are he will not. If you pay pennies on the dollar for stolen items then buyer beware..... 
Maybe the Buyer thought he was buying a legit mill and trying to register with Woodmizer may indicate that but I'd say he may as well kiss that $$ goodbye.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

metalspinner

That's one heck of a mill for 15k.  Was that the price the thief sold it for?  Original sale price?

I'm glad to hear one of these stories turned out good for the mill owner.  Does WM ask for serial numbers anytime someone calls in for service or blades?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Chuck White

They will usually ask if you have an account with WM, and then they will ask for your customer number, and that will tie you into the mills make, model, and serial number.

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Meadows Miller

I was thinking that too Cypress  ;) Id make every bloody day count with him and would not be no hobby with me Slabs  ;) :D :D :D that or 12 months in prison if he dont rock up every day ;)

slider

glad to know they captured this thief .i will be sawing within 10 miles from white oak in two weeks.way back in the boon docks.this is mr tom's old territory .can't wait to get back down there.sure hope the man got some of his money back.  al
al glenn

jtmccallum

Yes that is some good news. I was hoping it was Jasperfield. But any mill recovered is a happy mill.  ;D

Ditto.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Thank You Sponsors!