iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine poles

Started by Bosco, May 22, 2018, 08:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

I've been clearing land that has tons of Ponderosa Pine, I've got "farwood" stacked more than I need or can give away. I was wondering if I could make some fence poles? Is there a easy way to debark and pressure treat? There is a mill near by maybe I could barter some logs for posts, but was wondering if there was a homestyle method ?

firefighter ontheside

Are they green?  Might be able to debark with a pressure washer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed, there are "farm" methods in old books for treating poles.  The first step is drying them in order to make room for the preservative.  I a, not sure what preservative is approved for DIY treating, if any.  Borates cannot tolerate wetting, as they will leach out.  Some of the others, like creosote, are no longer considered safe.  Others require licensed users.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ianab

That's the problem, anything that's toxic enough to preserve a pine fence post is also toxic enough to be regulated and need all sorts of permits and equipment to use. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dakota

The trees on my place are 99% ponderosa pine.  They just don't make good posts.  Years ago we used to treat some posts with Pinta and get a few years extra use, but that's outlawed now.  
Dave Rinker

DelawhereJoe

Foundation coating / fence black ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!