iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plans for a router jig to plane slabs

Started by brdmkr, December 05, 2005, 10:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Cutting that slab with DanG got me to wondering if any of you have ever built a router jig for planing slabs ???.   I know that Lucas makes one for their mill, but I'd just as soon not have to set the mill up to do something that I could do indoors.  I'd also like to try to save a couple cents if possible.  Any ideas out there?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

brdmkr

I found this doing a search.  I typed planing slabs first and didn't get anything, but when I tried router planer I got this. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11464.0

Looks like this runs off of the mills rails.  So, it would accomplish saving some money, but I'd still have to set up the mill.  Of course, I like the results 8).  Ian, where did you get that big bit?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

RichlandSawyer

Brdmkr,

I have been working on a stationary machine to do what you are asking and much more. Recently i found a company that makes a machine very similar to what i am building, I'm not suggesting you buy one because they are very proud of them and want a pretty penny for them but if you go to there website and order the free DVD and catalog you can get some really good ideas for your slab planer plus it will do so much more. A tip, the slides and Acme screws can be found at McMasterCarr and WWGrainger. Its worth having a look at, If you are like me you like to get the most out of every piece of equipment and this design will do some amazing things.
The website is Legacywoodworking.com
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Ianab

QuoteLooks like this runs off of the mills rails.  So, it would accomplish saving some money, but I'd still have to set up the mill.  Of course, I like the results .  Ian, where did you get that big bit?

Hi Brdmkr

Yes, the jig is basically a box that clamps to the side of the sawhead and moves with it. It just supports the router bit a couple of inches below the blade. Use all the normal mill controls to move things.
Cant really help with the bit, I just ordered it through local power tool shop. It wasn't cheap  ::) I think the 'bowl' profile one that Scott mentioned would give a better finish, but it's not available in that size (2").
The big bit needs a variable speed router, I run the Makita on 3 (out of 5) and get the best result. If you are chewing off a large amount, to take a cup out of a slab or you didn't get the slab quite parrallel, then you want a grunty router.

Yes you have to set the mill up, but I figured that I had 95% of a slab planer there already, rails, height adjuster, side movement etc were all done.

Another option is a planer blade. I know Peterson can supply them for their mills, but I believe they are pretty generic and they can probably supply one to fit a Lucas as well.
That way you get a 24hp router  8)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brdmkr

What about it Peterson folks?  Do you make a planing blade that will work on the Lucas???

Timburr

Brdmkr, here's another OLD THREAD that might give you fodder for thought.
Sense is not common

Part_Timer

brdmkr

I just emailed your question to Rex a Petersons. 

I'm finally getting some logs big enough to make nice slabs.  If I could find a market to make planing them worthwhile I might get one but they aren't cheap.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Husband

OK guys its Chris here.
Part-timer, do you want me to get a blade made up for brdmkr or should they just send them slabs to you so you can charge them a priemium ;D
If you PM me with the PCD's of the blades i will see what I can do for you. Or phone me on 1877 3271471.
They run with 5 screw holes if memory serves me correctly so I will need to do a one off to suit.
Just so you know, they are good to use on beams as well, as for smaller boards not so productive.
I have used them on rather bowed slabs and taken off up to 3/4" deep in one hit :o.. The more accurate that you have the mill set up the better the finish.
Hope this helps.

brdmkr

one-off..... sounds like that may be causing a violation of my first criteria (cheap).  Still, I'd be interested in what it would cost.  However, I don't know what a PCD is???

Part_Timer

Chris on second thought you just go back to pouring concrete in the hog pen and don't worry about that blade.    ;D :D :D    Send one of them blades my way and I'll just drive down and plane them slabs off for them.

Thanks for watching out for me.  Glad someone is. :D

It's gotat be warmer down there.  I cut some ERC yesterday and it was 18 deg. F with 3" of snow

brdmkr that's funny most of us have the same first criteria especially this time of the year. ;D

Have a good one

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

brdmkr

It's warmer down here, but it did cool off just a bit in the last 24 hours.  It was probably in the 40s this morning.  High today around 60.  It is sort of funny that whenever you have a couple of criteria you are interested in, it is mighty difficult to satisfy both.  I'll keep looking!

Thank You Sponsors!