iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting weeds/grass on dam

Started by ljmathias, November 25, 2017, 09:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

There's a reason the pro's use a hydraulic motor powered mower on the end of a boom to do this kind of mowing. An old push mower sounds like a good idea, BUT after a hour or so, the old briggs goes bang bang and seizes up. Most small gas motors, when tilted more than about 15 degrees, the splash lubrication for the con rod ceases to do the job. Unless you can find one of them REAL old lawn boy's with the 2 stroke motor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

On that splash lube the 18 HP twins can be tipped to the left but to the right it will hang in a very short time .Snaps the connecting rods like tooth picks .I knew that but the former owners of two blown twins at my shop did not .

Al_Smith

An observation on zero turn mowers .It seems to me by design those that have the caster wheels in front will hold a slope much better than those with trailing casters .My Toro does good .My father had a Grasshopper that didn't .He'd get that thing stuck in a ditch bank and had to get his Jeep to pull it out .
Having said that just this past summer my buddy put about 3 feet of his Toro in his pond .He had a 4 wheeler on hand to save the day .
Another thing why pray tell they ever put tubeless tires on a lawn mower I'll never know .I tubed mine and as of yet never had a problem rolling the bead loose on a slope .Prior to I had a lot of problems .

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 03, 2017, 06:14:10 PM
On that splash lube the 18 HP twins can be tipped to the left but to the right it will hang in a very short time .Snaps the connecting rods like tooth picks .I knew that but the former owners of two blown twins at my shop did not .

Al - Are you referring to a specific brand of engine? How do you tell which way is left and which is right on a vertical shaft engine? (On a horizontal shaft, I'm guessing left and right are as view from the output side of the engine?) I'd love to get it straight so I can favor the best side when operating on a slope.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Briggs vertical shaft flat head,14 to 19.5 HP .The grass blows out the right side referenced by being in the seat .You have to blow the grass up hill on a slope .
If I'm not mistaken the Kawasaki and Kohler engines are pressure lubed while the Briggs is a splash .
On that though the only thing I've personally seen the flat head used on was tractor type mowers not zero turns .

Al_Smith

Now talk about small engines my dad had an old Ford rider with a 16 HP Kohler single .That thing had a piston about the same size as a 350 Chevy .It high grass all it did was get louder .I think it's still sitting in the barn,has to be 40 years old .

YellowHammer

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 03, 2017, 06:23:31 PM
An observation on zero turn mowers .It seems to me by design those that have the caster wheels in front will hold a slope much better than those with trailing casters .
We bought our Kubota Zero Turn for the purpose of mowing slopes that were way too steep for our tractor.  They are very low center of gravity and extremely stable when side sloping.  However, when they slip, the best maneuver is to spin the castors downhill, and simply roll and mow downhill.  However, when both back tires are slipping when going down hill, its too steep. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

Yep... Been there ... Done that...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got plenty of time mowing steep banks.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LittleJohn

Saw one of their ads the other day for these guys, Brielmeyer https://www.brielmaier.com/en/brielmaier-in-action/am-berg, not sure of cost or if they are even in the States.  But they sure do look pretty INTERESTING

DelawhereJoe

Interesting....I'd say, looks like the sicklebar mower to have for the zombie apocalypse. It would give a literal meaning to mowing them down.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Crusarius

I put atv flotation tires on my zero turn because of the many times I slid into the pond. Best $60 I ever spent on it. Only thing is you cannot do a 180 degree turn unless you are rolling. It will tear a small circle in the grass.

samandothers

Quote from: LittleJohn on December 04, 2017, 03:32:29 PM
Saw one of their ads the other day for these guys, Brielmeyer https://www.brielmaier.com/en/brielmaier-in-action/am-berg, not sure of cost or if they are even in the States.  But they sure do look pretty INTERESTING

Well that is quite a bit more fancy than my 2 wheeled Gravely with sickle bar!  I might have to add dual wheel adapters.

Al_Smith

They make "hill side" mowers .I've seen both tracked versions like a skid loader and wheeled versions .They hydraulically tilt the cab and engine portion of the machine and likewise the mowing part .No doubt they are probably very pricey .

Thank You Sponsors!