iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK 1600?

Started by Rocky4by, January 04, 2023, 11:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky4by

Hello, I'm new here but have I been lurking as a guest for a little while. I just want to see if you guys/gals think a Timber King 1600 mill with around 4000 hrs on it, and a price of 18k is about right for this mill? 
It looks pretty clean and owner states is in good working order. I'm supposed to pick it up next week 8) 
Thanks for any information.

Walnut Beast

Congratulations! Looking forward to pictures!

doc henderson

a new one is 40 K, so it depends on condition.  There is a b 20 for sale for 25K used, next step up.  My mill was 27K 8 years ago, now 55K.  so, the price of everything has gone up.  does it come with any blades or a sharpener, cant hooks?  It is a judgement only you can make, but these are some comparisons I would want to know
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tacks Y

I had a TK1600 that I bought 7 years ago for 18k, with hours well under 1k. The way things are now that may be a fair price. Low hour machines are out there if not in a hurry. Condition is the main thing, kept under roof? Look over well and don't be a afraid to walk away.

WELCOME to the FF

Will_Johnson

A well-maintained machine with high hours is way preferable to a low-hours machine that's been sitting for years.

The most important questions is: does it load logs, turn logs and cut wood?

I'm always amazed by the lengthy discussions -- here and elsewhere -- about used mills that never get down to this. And I always feel bad when I talk to buyers of used machines who didn't confirm this before they gave over their hard-earned cash.

Rocky4by

Thanks for the information, I will be sure to check it over really well. I did just come across another post where a guy has 12000hrs on his 1600, and states that it is still working great. If down the road the engine needs gone through is there someone that's a pro at rebuilding the 27HP Kohler command engines? Im also not sure what type of pump runs the hydraulics, but maybe that may need to be rebuilt at some point too. 

Rocky4by

KWH

Looks good, when I bought my Baker mill 12 years ago even though it only had 240 hrs. on it, I had the guy mill a log on it. That way you get to see how and what works, and it will give you a good reference point where to start on logs. 

Rocky4by

I just talked with the tech guy at Kohler engines, he said the 4000 hrs is right around the life of this engine. He said he has seen some around the 6000 hrs mark and only knows of one that went to 8000. He also said he would like to know more information about the guy that states he has 12000 on his, as that would be very unlikely.
I better bring my compression tester; the tech stated it should be above 150P.S.I. This also brings up how many of the other parts on the mill are getting up to needing replaced at this point.  
My mistake, but I think I would have to do a leak down test on this type of engine not a PSI test, so no way to really check that when picking it up.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Rocky4by on January 05, 2023, 01:18:14 PM

in this photo, the far chain looks like rust, but is probably just the sun light
the near chain looks OK

check the entire length of the chains for rust and that they can still move
I had to replace my chains, it was a PAIN
here is some good reading for a beginner miller
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=113838.msg1791658#msg1791658
"let the machines do the work"

woodduckhunter

This is the same exact mill I bought new and got started with.  It visually appears to be ok, I would be concerned with the engine hours, but wouldn't be a deal breaker, maybe just a bargaining tool.  Acquiring that engine, or something similar can be done relatively inexpensive.  The hydraulic pump on the mill is a gear pump if I remember correctly belted to the engine. Is this mill equipped with any sort of set works?  The log stop design on the mill wasn't that durable, you're constantly adjusting if you want to align a face against it....until you align and weld them in place.  I had the Kubota diesel, sawing and cutting wasn't an issue, it was 27k new in 2019

Thank You Sponsors!