iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newb on the forum

Started by YupperYooper, September 22, 2011, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YupperYooper

Hi, I just joined the forum with encouragement from my brother (Mad Murdock).  As he, I grew up around the timber industry, and worked in the woods peeling popple as early as 8 yrs old.  I drove a log truck in my early 20's, and subsequently got into maintenance and fabrication on trucks and forestry equipment.  I used to build wet kits for trucks, do installs, rebuild valve banks, made and sold hoses, repaired broken trailers, brake jobs, the whole 9 yards.  Got out of the biz for about 25 years, and am now looking to get back into the woods.  My goal is to pick up a used forwarder (looking at a '95 Rottne SMV 6-wheeler), and start there.  I will need to find out if it's even possible to find loggers who will give me some work in the central U.P. of Michigan.
Stihl 025, 18" bar
Antique bucksaw
Single-bit axe
2-ton come-a-long

Jeff

Welcome to the Forum.  Contact our admin Chet, if you don't already know him, he may know you. He knows everybody in Iron River. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

Good to see you on here Yupper Yooper.  As you get into things, the forum will serve as a great resource to deal with all of the modern "nuances" that you will encounter getting back to the woods, it is not quite the same as in the "good ol days", but it still beats the heck out of a "corner office with a view".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Yupper Yooper!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

YupperYooper

Quote from: Jeff on September 22, 2011, 12:24:51 PM
Welcome to the Forum.  Contact our admin Chet, if you don't already know him, he may know you. He knows everybody in Iron River. :)

Thanks, Jeff.  I don't know many people in Iron River, but will check out Chet.
Stihl 025, 18" bar
Antique bucksaw
Single-bit axe
2-ton come-a-long

beenthere

Just don't visit Chet at his work place.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

How long have you lived in Iron River? There are several long time logging and logging equipment companys there.
~Ron

Autocar

Welcome to the forum, you sure picked a heack of a time to get back into the logging bussiness. But if you can make it now when it comes back around your be on the easy ride  ;D
Bill

YupperYooper

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 10, 2011, 12:15:23 PM
How long have you lived in Iron River? There are several long time logging and logging equipment companys there.

We moved here 2 years ago, but I work in Madison, WI.  I'm looking to get something going so that I can live with my wife again full-time.  Seeing each other only on weekends, or worse yet every other weekend just doesn't cut it. 
Anyway, that's why I haven't gotten to know too many people in the area.
Stihl 025, 18" bar
Antique bucksaw
Single-bit axe
2-ton come-a-long

YupperYooper

Quote from: Autocar on October 10, 2011, 06:29:49 PM
Welcome to the forum, you sure picked a heack of a time to get back into the logging bussiness. But if you can make it now when it comes back around your be on the easy ride  ;D

I hear ya, Autocar, but it's a tough time for almost every industry right now.  I start a computer repair business, but that's a tough market as well.  I want to develop an organic farm.  Same thing.  I just believe that the person who works hard, works with a passion, and perseveres will succeed - maybe not to riches, but at least make a living.
Stihl 025, 18" bar
Antique bucksaw
Single-bit axe
2-ton come-a-long

Ron Scott

Ski Brule Mountain, the ski area, 8 miles south of Iron River is hiring right now for a number of jobs. Mostly winter work, but you might work into something there year around.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!