iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Ain't Too Old!

Started by Magicman, May 03, 2017, 03:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

To own a New Bicycle.

A Majestic Cruiser by Schwinn.  Actually, they had me at Magic Majestic.  I found this jewel (new in the box) in our discount outlet store this morning for $56.00.  It's a 7 speed with a rear Shimano derailleur.  As you can see it is raining so I can't even ride it.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Can I take out life insurance on you with me as a beneficiary?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Funny (maybe not so funny) that you said that.  I never owned a bicycle growing up but I have taken some nasty spills as an adult.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

What do you mean you can't ride it because it is raining!?!  Where do s your sense of adventure and youth!  It has fenders. :D

Very nice ride and find.

red

It should go down hill without any problems.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Delawhere Jack

You're not going to turn into one of those guys who wear spandex pants and ride on winding country roads with no shoulder..... are you?!?! ::)

Just pulling your chain. I'm sure you have much better sense than them..  ;)

tree-farmer

I see the potential for a viral video....
Be safe buddy, old bodies don' t bounce very well. Helmet would be a good idea, chaps and elbow guards, along with steel toes might not hurt.... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Hilltop366

Tom the Sawyer

Always wear a helmet.  You might also consider a mirror, 'mature' necks don't swivel as easier as those 'less mature' necks.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

gspren

Will that fit on/in your RV? When I'm at the Delaware house I take a short ride nearly everyday.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

I'm planning on it Gary so it will go somewhere.   smiley_thumbsup

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Congratulations. Enjoy it in good health but do seriously consider the plastic and foam helmets.

I worked a project in Kristiansand Norway 2007-2008. My wife took and LOA and joined me for a year of it. We both bought and rode bikes there as easier to get around and park than a car plus they had good bike paths.

Our Noggie daughter (Former exchange student we had hosted) gave Becky a device to attach so her German Shepherd we brought along could run beside her as she rode. It was like a big spring that absorbed the shock when the dog lunged sideways at a squirrel or did not notice Becky taking off. Attached a short lead to the spring. First time or two they both had a blast but I noticed Becky was not pedaling. Pretty quickly the dog figured that out and paced herself and let Becky power her own bike.

After Becky left I took about a 20 mile ride one Saturday. Was on a nice bike path beside the road when I hit an unnoticed patch of ice and suddenly, like slow motion, I was sliding along on my left hip  watching my bike sliding just ahead of me. Fortunately I was not seriously hurt nor was my bike and I got back on and returned home to soak in a hot tub for a while.

A co-worker from Greenville SC was less fortunate. He rode a bike to and from work daily. He had gotten good, he thought, at riding between the car guards (Off-set bars near car crossing to keep cars from accidentally turning on to the bike path) without slowing down. One afternoon a mile or so from the office Eval Kneival shot the gap on the downhill slope on the path but clipped the path and flipped end over end getting a concussion and a broken collarbone. A passing Noggie saw the accident and stopped and insisted on letting him take the guy to the local Sykehus (I love foreign words that make sense like calling the hospital a Sick House). They treated and released him but a day or two later I had to medivac him home for the extended recovery required. he never returned to the project. He was not wearing a helmet.

Again, congrats, enjoy and be careful

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

With all of those gears you could take it off the pavement on some of the seven miles of trails you have.  The bike should provide you some enjoyment and exercise.  Stay safe and post some pictures if you start popping wheelies, ramping it off a dock or just riding down the driveway.

Caveman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 03, 2017, 07:20:30 PM
You're not going to turn into one of those guys who wear spandex pants and ride on winding country roads with no shoulder..... are you?!?! ::)

Just pulling your chain. I'm sure you have much better sense than them..  ;)

That would be my Son Wild Bill. He's a biker of another dimension than dear old Dad. Even has those funny clip in shoes.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Nice lookin bike.
Ride safe my friend.
One of the things I will miss the most about Florida is the enjoyable time spent on my Walmart special around the development, but my 79 yr old butt did get sore sometimes.
Great exercise.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

OK, I have one of those streamlined goofy looking bike helmets but I have not figured out how to hook it to my butt since that is generally what I bust.   ::)

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on May 04, 2017, 08:26:29 AM
OK, I have one of those streamlined goofy looking bike helmets but I have not figured out how to hook it to my butt since that is generally what I bust.   ::)

You need one for each cheek. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

florida

Looks like it may be too light to pull your mill, except maybe downhill!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Savannahdan

Magic, what you need in addition to the bike helmet is a pair of those tite-fitting pants that have the bum cushions built in.  You'll also get lots of looks from the ladies when you wear them.  I won't venture as to whether they'll laugh, cry, point, or look at you intently.  Have fun.
BTW, my oldest brother rides his bike about 24 miles every day and won't go without the helmet.  He crashed one time when he was doing his cool down spin in his neighborhood after one of the long rides.  His helmet was cracked and worthless at that point but he was fine other than cuts on his knees and elbows.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Raider Bill

Quote from: Savannahdan on May 04, 2017, 01:44:13 PM
Magic, what you need in addition to the bike helmet is a pair of those tite-fitting pants that have the bum cushions built in.  You'll also get lots of looks from the ladies when you wear them.  I won't venture as to whether they'll laugh, cry, point, or look at you intently.  Have fun.
BTW, my oldest brother rides his bike about 24 miles every day and won't go without the helmet.  He crashed one time when he was doing his cool down spin in his neighborhood after one of the long rides.  His helmet was cracked and worthless at that point but he was fine other than cuts on his knees and elbows.

Helmets save lives!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sixacresand

Bikes are fun at any age.  I have several.  I wear the helmet.   I feel it is a extremely unsafe act to use bikes in truck and car traffic
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 03, 2017, 10:53:51 PM
Lynn,

Congratulations. Enjoy it in good health but do seriously consider the plastic and foam helmets.

I worked a project in Kristiansand Norway 2007-2008. My wife took and LOA and joined me for a year of it. We both bought and rode bikes there as easier to get around and park than a car plus they had good bike paths.

Visited Stockholm and Copenhagen 7 years ago. Lots of people in those cities commute by bike. And they have really good, heavy old school bikes, built the way we used to build them in the 1950's. Not the fastest by any means, but built for comfort and long lasting. During the morning and evening "rush hours", you had to be more alert for getting hit by a bike than a car..

Magicman

Yes, I wear a helmet but I do not have any of those "skinny legged" britches.  I only rode for ½ mile the first day and now I'm up to 10 miles, but only rode 6 this evening because I'll be sitting on my butt and driving for ~6 hours tomorrow.

I'm feeling pretty good about strengthening up my legs.

coxy

in my old age I have trouble pedaling my leg of to give my butt a ride  :)

Thank You Sponsors!