iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new forest conservation officer job

Started by old joe, October 22, 2008, 08:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

Hello My Name is Youngjoe This is my fathers forum name Old Joe.
I have taken the forest conservation officer test and scored number one in the state of alabama.(This is not a bragging thread) I find my self in some what of a pickle. While I love the forest and nature, I now see I have very little  practical skills on the path I have taken. Do any of you know of any courses I can take or projects I could tackle to help me in this strange new world I have found my self in? Swampdonkey I hear from the old man that you are a forester your self. Are our fields similar in nature or am a stranger in a strange land here. help! :o
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Ron Wenrich

Maybe it would help if you told us more of what a forest conservation officer does.  We don't have any in our state (that I know of).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pappy19

He has been trained to conserve and protect the forest....in other words not to cut any trees. What else is new.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Sprucegum

My daughter-in-law is a "conservation biologist". She has worked on forest inventory for one company and on wildlife assessment related to logging for another. Now she is doing regeneration studies on reclaimed oil leases. Her primary objective in each of these situations started with the need to get a job.  ;)   :D

My advice to you Joe - Get a Job!

Try to get one related to forestry in some way and keep an eye open for the next oportunity.

old joe

.thanks for your responses.  this position is predominately fish and wildlife  oriented .              I supose this isn't the right place to ask, but my dad said you folks have wide and varied experience and I thought  maybe there was  a chance.  Thanks                     Young Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

ellmoe

Quote from: old joe on October 31, 2008, 10:11:13 PM
.thanks for your responses.  this position is predominately fish and wildlife  oriented .              I suppose this isn't the right place to ask, but my dad said you folks have wide and varied experience and I thought  maybe there was  a chance.  Thanks                     Young Joe

Hey Joe, yea of little faith. ;D  You came to the right place. This is a wide (gotta try that slimfast! ;) ) and varied place. Ask away about wildlife jobs, that was my former life. PM me if you prefer.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SPIKER

there are a good number of places to start looking, you're home state dept of wild life for one.  then branch out to paper people Meed West co, International paper ect.   Check for large acreage sites where tree plantations might be do some local land office searches to find out who owns/operates them and send in you're resume`   Also ask the school you graduated from most will have some sort of help in obtaining jobs/careers in your field of study.  also ask around and see if there are local foresters/Fish & Game/ wild life agency/officers & DNR Office.

Hope this helps.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!