iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from the new guy....

Started by linrick1, January 22, 2009, 05:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linrick1

Dont know if this is the right place to be doing this, but hello. I am considering starting a custom sawing business so will be pestering you all with many, many questions. Ive spent quite a bit of time in northern Maine hauling logs on the Golden Road, running skidder, loader etc., but have done no sawing so will be trying to learn as much as I can and thank you in advance for your help,

Rick

Jeff

Is as good a place as any Rick. :)  Welcome to the Forestry forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rick.

Jeff is Wrong!

It's a better place than any.  :D

fishpharmer

Welcome Rick, from another new guy.   

I must say that I agree with Tom.  Its a better place than any I have found on the net.   

They'll learn you something if you don't watch out, as we say in MS.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Maineloggerkid

JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

wi woodcutter

Hello to you too! You will find lots of great people and info here.  :) :) :) :) :) :)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

timber tramp

Welcome from the left coast. I agree with Tom and Phishfarmer best place I've found.

:),TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,linrick1.I have no idea what part of Maine you are from.Around here I would have a very hard time of making any money custom sawing.Been sawing long,around cutting wood?it's a hard way of making a living until things get rolling.It's been tried before.Look at all of the factors real close before pouring money into all this. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kodiakmac

Hello/Bonjour from north of The Border.   For a fellow who is just getting started in a venture, you made a good choice by 'signing on' here.  You said that you were "considering" starting a custom-sawing business.  Obviously part of that consideration would be to determine just what kind of a real market there was in your immediate area for that type of service.

Good luck with your venture.

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

WildDog

Wellcome from down bellow, good luck with your venture,

I doubt I would of bought my swingmill if it wasn't for the fact I stumbled on this forum.

Rob
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

jim king

And also welcome from the Amazon.  New guy , old guys all learn here.

Chuck White

Welcome Rick

Like previously stated; Lots of good info and good people here!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

linrick1

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, I am stunned by the global reach of this forum already....I mean New South Wales? Peru? Canada? Thats pretty *DanG cool. About my situation: My wife and I live in north central Mass. in a small town called Ashburnham right up on the N.H. border...we live on a dead end dirt road on Watatic Pond and have only one neighbor-a very nice older retired couple. (Trust me, there is a point to all this) My neighbor bought the WM40 HD new in 1998 to build his beautiful post and beam barn and then the mill sat basically unused and neglected until this fall when we discussed the possibility of sawing for hire. The deal is this: I do all the work, maintanence, advertising etc., and he will supply the mill and all monies required refurbish the mill with any profits made being split 50/50 after operational expenses. I have the mill, a Ford 1900 4WD tractor w/forks and a 4" capacity chipper, an equipment trailer, chainsaws, peaveys, tools etc. and about 20 bandsaw blades new, some sharpened and some unsharpened so I believe I'm in pretty good shape as far as equipment to start up is concerned. Please let me know what you think about all this, sorry for being so long-winded, thanks again, Rick

Sprucegum

Welcome - sit down - hang on - as soon as they read about your partnership you are going to have guys yelling GET OUT  :o  :D

I too would normally advise you to go-it alone but in light of the "economy" maybe its not a bad way to start. Just make sure to put everything you and the old guy agreed to in writing and both sign. Then no one can forget what the deal was  ::)

Do a search on partners  :P

RalphV

Also a newbie to the forum.  Lots of good people and tons of info.  Good luck with your venture!
Always looking for good used equipment!  Like to talk machines...I am in!

DanG

Welcome Rick! 8)

Unlike some of the others, I kinda like your idea.  It sounds more like a lease arrangement than a partnership.  I'd like to see you work it into more of a lease/purchase agreement if you can though.  Whatever you do, get it in writing for sure.  In todays climate, your arrangement sounds a lot more sensible than borrowing money.  If it doesn't work out for you, neither of you are really out anything. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

moosehunter

I'm with DanG. Make sure it's in your best interest. Get it in writing. Make sure you have an out if needed.
Try for a lease to buy. I have my own partnership horror story that I don't think I have shared with my FF friends, yet.

Welcome!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Ron Wenrich

Who's supplying the labor?  If you are supplying the labor, then how does that figure in to the operational costs?  It seems that you have a good deal of equipment involved as well.

And, no, you weren't longwinded.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

linrick1

Hey all, thanks for all of your input and kind welcomes. Both my neighbor and I agree everything will be in writing. I will be paid an hourly rate while I am working, as will he when he decides he wants to work and our wages will be factored into our daily operating expenses. I hadn't thought of a lease/purchase arrangement and will discuss that with him today. I appreciate the concerns expressed by some members regarding entering into a partnership with my neighbor and I would be concerned too if it were anyone other than Ray (my neighbor). Trust me when I tell you I've been around the round world  and have learned to be a pretty shrewd judge of character-Ray is just a truly good guy.  He and I have been partnering on all sorts of projects around our properties since my wife and I bought our house here four years ago. Not only have we had a lot of fun but we've also got a boatload of work done. Please continue with your good advice and I'll keep you posted on how we proceed, thanks again, Rick

beenthere

linrick1
Sounds like a neighbor I had next to me. He'd give the shirt off his back to help.

Only thing to add from me would be what happens to the agreement when one or the other says "I quit" or one dies.

Can the other just walk away with no obligations to the spouse?  If that is covered, then sounds like a good partnership. Liability issues might be another...if you get hurt on his equipment.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

BT brings up a good point.  I'm not a big fan of insurance, but in this case it might be a good idea.  Even if you have coverage on yourself, if you get injured your insurance company might go after him and there would be nothing you could do about it.  There are lots of ways to go about making the arrangements to achieve the same end result.  It may be better to just rent the mill from him on an hourly basis, which should release him from any liability resulting from its use.  It may be worthwhile to have a brief consultation with a local lawyer, as things work a little differently from one State to another.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

linrick1

Insurance and liability are two subjects we have yet to discuss. I was figuring to get the mill back to specs and running well first, and then see if we actually get any kind of work before getting too involved in the legal ramifications of operating the mill. I will ask Ray to speak to his lawyer about our arrangement and give us his recommendations. We are in Mass. so you can bet there are all kinds of funky laws to deal with........as far as spouses or one or the other deciding to quit we can both just walk away, no obligations. Thanks again, Rick 

Thank You Sponsors!