My New Hookaroon

Started by Magicman, August 12, 2013, 10:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Today was my second sawing day using my new Hookaroon.   :)

Many times I am unable to stretch and reach flitches that are on the sawmills loading arms, but this 30" Hookaroon is doing exactly what I planned.

It's a simple matter to snag the stubborn flitches now.   logrite_cool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Nice tool Lynn.  I have a question for you.  I believe you to be a man of habit and routine so I would imagine you don't have this issue, but...

I just have a cant hook, but it seems that whenever I need to use it I have laid it in exactly the most unhandy place possible around the mill.  Do you ever find that when you need something like the Hookaroon that you have to fetch it from someplace instead of having it handy?  Even if I could find a suitable use for another tool like the Hookaroon, it would never be where I need it when I need to use it.

Of course there is nothing that is efficient on my mill... that's just the nature of the beast.  Walking around to the other side to pick up my cant hook is becoming second nature.  This is a bit ironic because I am paid to determine the most efficient order of operations and implement them!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jeff

Have more than one. That way you can have them on either side of the mill rather than chasing one all the time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

grweldon

That's a great idea Jeff, but I have an incurable disease!  It's called "cheapskate disorder"!  :D  Coupled with my CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) if I had two of them, I would forget where I put at least one of them!

Seriously though, I have been thinking of getting a 5' cant hook since the 4' hook leaves me straining sometimes when trying to turn logs on the mill.  Maybe it's time.  Thanks for the suggestion.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jim_Rogers

I keep my pickeroon inside or under the mill bunks. Near where I stand when I raise and lower my clamp plate. This location is basically centered opposite the log loader arms. And I can easily pull boards and planks stored on my log loader arms back onto the sawmill for edging.

I used to keep one peavy at one end of the mill and the other on the other end so when I need one at one end it is there for me to use. However I seem to always use my long handle blue logrite peavy more than I use my wooden handled one.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Actually, I am methodical about where I put the tools that I use.  That way they are always where you will need them the next time.  A 48" cant hook will be on each end of the log whack.  The 60" cant hook lies on the front end of the sawmill for my use when needed.

The new Hookaroon quickly found it's nesting place.  It lies under the sawmill just ahead of the loading arms.  As you can see, it is just forward of my "Stick".

Man can not live by bread alone with only one Logrite cant hook:)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

They're kind of hard to see, but I keep a 48" at either end of the mill. I hate getting to the other end and there's no cant hook down there. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Magicman on August 13, 2013, 04:57:15 PM

Man can not live by bread alone with only one Logrite cant hook:)

I like that!  and it seems to me a lot of people agree with you.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68321.0.html
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Magicman

It got a workout today.  Matter of fact, I have been needing it for quite a while because it seems to get a workout every day.   ;D

barbender

Dave, it looks like it would be about 1/2 an hour to get back to the other end of your mill :D
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

That's why I try not to go down there. :D I'm going to move my closest toeboard roller bed section down to the first spot on the extension and get a couple of 24' hoses. I always saw butt first, so I don' t need the first roller. If I have it mounted on the BX, then I won't have to fight to level the far end. I'm also thinking of getting a 12v linear actuator and hooking it to one of the backstops on the BX and then I won't have to walk down there for that either. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Jim Clark had a 24' bed extension and he had hydraulic on it that he ran off a car battery. I think he kept the battery charged by having a charge hooked to it all the time, when sawing. I don't know how it had the handles set up to run the loader and the back stops but he did. Maybe he only ran the loader to lift long logs on to the mill.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nk14zp

I love my hookaroon.  It's one of my most used tools.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Dave Shepard

I don't use my hookaroon every day, but when I do, I make mine a LogRite.

petefrom bearswamp

My hookaroon has a couple of days growth of whiskers, torn jeans  worn out footgear and a vintage Dodge truck.
If he didnt smoke he could dress OK and drive something decent.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I pick mine up many times each day when I am sawing.  It's my "reach across" tool when I am sliding flitches off of the loader arms and onto the sawmill.

Mine is the smaller diameter handle which is good.  My only suggestion would be that it had a knob on the end like the 24" cant hook.

WDH

If you put a hole in my FAS curly cherry with a hookaroon, I will scream  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I just read through this topic this morning.  I can not imagine sawing without this handy tool.   logrite_cool

Bruno of NH

I need to look in to getting one :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 20, 2017, 05:53:02 PM
I need to look in to getting one :)

Don't  just look,  do it! :)

It's that time of year again, slab mania. My Hookaroon stays on the dash of the Kubota. If I didn't have a Hookaroon, I don't think I'd be able to walk after picking up a load of slabs. 1/2 a cord on there,  good for two to three days, depending on the weather.