iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adventures at the Paul Bunyan Show today!

Started by Celeriac, October 07, 2011, 08:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeriac

This morning, after work, we headed south to check out the doings at the Paul Bunyan Festival which is put on by the Ohio Forestry Assoc.  The Guernsey County fairgrounds was full of machinery. Quite a few mill manufacturers and other suppliers were on hand, basically anything to do with the lumber/timber industry, and some that weren't!

One of the highlights was the sawmill shootout. Friday's competition was limited to manual mills, and if memory serves the following were represented; Woodmizer, HudSon, Peterson, Lucas, Norwood, and EZ Boardwalk. We didn't stick around to see it through to the end (lunch beckoned). I'm sure detailed results will be forthcoming from the contest sponsor.

A couple comments about the contest. First,  it seems odd to me that one competitor was using an edger in addition to their mill, kinda skews the results. Secondly, everyone got to saw three nice Tulip Poplar logs. I would like to see some variety of timber. Maybe start out with a Poplar log, followed by Hickory or Elm, and finish with a knotty Pine or Spruce.  :o

It was interesting to see the swing mills in operation, having read about them but not seen them run. The Peterson team put in a strong showing, although they made me nervous in regards to safety.  The swing mills are pretty slick. But personally, I wasn't convinced to give up my Mobile Dimension. Why swing when you can get it all done at once? 

My favorite saw was the EZ Boardwalk. If I didn't already have a mill I would be very interested in having one of theirs. I really like the layout and engineering of the mill, simple and effective.

If you're in the area stop by tomorrow to see the big boys compete. I won't be there, but it ought to be exciting.
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

hackberry jake

Boardwalk must have two different teams. They were at the farm fest in Springfield mo. Today as well. Edward wasn't there so he must've been at the shootout.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bibbyman

Where's the pictures?  Got to have pictures.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Our own Meadows Miller should be on the Lucas team.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

And I know he has a camera in that Dodge truck somewhere...  8) :) :D ;D...Go get em Chris....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Yup, and he also has a phone.  smiley_heart
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logboy

Small correction.  Everyone got to saw 4 logs, not 3. :)
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

logboy

If you go tomorrow make sure you put a down payment on one of these.

I think he said the head alone is $56k. I hope you have a big line into your house or a huge generator.

sweetfarm

I spent the entire day there as well and spent a lot of time with Chris ( Meadows Miller) and Dave Bolstad.   I took several hundred pictures and will work on loading them for your viewing pleasure!  I also wanted to mention that the Peterson in the Small Mill Shoot out had a 30HP engine and is priced at more than twice any of the other entries.  I also thought it was unfair that Wood Mizer had a 3rd person and an Edger.  We later found out that the speed of the Peterson team cost them 10-11 miss cuts.   :o

beenthere

If I recall correctly, this shoot-out isn't about seeing who "runs" the fastest and is more of a demonstration of what the mills can do with similar material. Look over the material for mis-cuts, wavy cuts, and loading logs and unloading lumber. Edging material and getting it away from the mill. Speed of loading, room to move around the mill while sawing, and such things for the observers to compare the mills in action. Much depends on the skill of the operators and some luck while sawing.
But a race, it isn't.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sweetfarm

It certainly looked like a race.  Especially with an official timer standing next to each mill!  I would say that Dave Bolstad took it very seriously as a timed shootout.   The mills were all supposed to be on the low end of pricing and they announced that the competitors would not operate them unsafely for the sake of speed, but rather they were to be operated in the same way they expected an owner to operate them.
  I have never seen most of the mills in person that competed and was very impressed with the performance they were able to achieve.  They allowed them 1/8" over on the size but only 1/16" under.   So anything that did not measure within spec was considered a miss-cut.  That accuracy is hard to achieve when you are counting seconds!

DR_Buck

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 07, 2011, 09:18:46 PM
Where's the pictures?  Got to have pictures.  :)

I took a lot of pictures but forgot to bring the cord to connect the camera to my laptop.  :-\     I'll get more today.

Didn't see any other FF hats other than Kitty's and mine.   We spend a considerable amount of time hanging around the Logrite display.   Their new wood processer has been drawing a lot of attention.   8)   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Celeriac

Quote from: logboy on October 07, 2011, 10:19:16 PM
Small correction.  Everyone got to saw 4 logs, not 3. :)

Correct! I had a brain jam on that one. They started with one log on the mill and three others. I still would like to see some diversity in the type of logs being sawn.

Didn't see any other FF hats other than Kitty's and mine.

I did notice someone in a FF hat.
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Banjo picker

Quote from: logboy on October 07, 2011, 10:43:00 PM
If you go tomorrow make sure you put a down payment on one of these.

I think he said the head alone is $56k. I hope you have a big line into your house or a huge generator.

What happened to the cant lever design?  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 08, 2011, 01:50:44 PM

It never was a cantilever design sawmill.  There is a thread describing it somewhere.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Yup, that is it.  This one is from WM's Sponsor section.  No video but some nice pictures.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51656.0.html

logboy

Quote from: log master on October 07, 2011, 11:49:14 PM
We later found out that the speed of the Peterson team cost them 10-11 miss cuts.   :o

Peterson had a blade issue. Nathan used a blade that had recently been retipped. He was trying to figure out why his lumber was a 1/16" smaller than normal.  Upon closer inspection the new teeth were slightly oversized, resulting in a bigger kerf and smaller boards.  Kind of a crappy deal.

Also, each WM team had two people per mill for a total of four people (LT70 & LT35).  No sawmill had three team members.   

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2011, 02:06:06 PM
Quote from: Banjo picker on October 08, 2011, 01:50:44 PM

It never was a cantilever design sawmill.  There is a thread describing it somewhere.

That was plain to see Lynn...its a 4 post mill....that was my point...never thought I would see that from a WM.....Tim

Bibbyman

Did anyone see the Wood-Mizer LT15 GO in the shootout?  I hear they done real well getting their four logs sawin is something like 30 minutes making something like 600 bf/hr rate.
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 08, 2011, 09:22:52 PM
Did anyone see the Wood-Mizer LT15 GO in the shootout?  I hear they done real well getting their four logs sawin is something like 30 minutes making something like 600 bf/hr rate.

Yep saw the LT15 GO.  I don't know the real numbers, but they did a great job.   

Also Kitty and I  had a real nice campfire side dinner with Team Logrite (Kevin & Dee) and Carl Nuetzel tonight at our campground.  It was nice to set back and enjoy the company.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Mooney

The weather was beautiful for the ShootOut, and it was fun to see many of you there!  ;D All the teams did a great job, and even though the guys do saw as fast as they can, the main point is to demonstrate equipment, and many of the teams were there to showcase the virtues of particular models at various price points, not necessarily race.

The rules allow any secondary processing equipment to be used that the manufacturer makes. The purpose is to showcase equipment, and what can be done with that equipment. So companies that make edgers are allowed to use them. Today, both WM and Baker used edgers behind the mills.

@MM: Yes, Chris (meadowsmiller) was there!  ;D He updated me on his adventures since the pigroast, and it looked like he got his exercise both days!

@Bibbyman: Yup, it was really close to that (not sure of the exact numbers...)

The official numbers will be in a future issue of Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine. We posted some videos and photos on the WM facebook page at www.facebook.com/woodmizer

On a personal note, it was my first ShootOut, and I really enjoyed getting to chat with the various sawmill manufacturers there. Great guys!

Wallys World

This was our first shootout also. The lt15 GO did a great job. The edger did help a little, they didn't use it probably more than 20 times. The show was a good time, talked to Kevin and Dee from Logrite, even bougjt some Blue Creeper and a hookaroon. My wife even found a "barn" coat at one of the vendors. She enjoyed talking to the vendors also. We have the Rayco stumper and the Vermeer chipper and she liked seeing what is new. I couldn't talk her into trading the LT 28 up to a 40!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Wallys World on October 09, 2011, 03:53:46 PM
I couldn't talk her into trading the LT 28 up to a 40!

Take shorter steps - how about an LT35?
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!