iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticky hands

Started by biziedizie, February 24, 2003, 07:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Here's a tip for everyone that gets sap on their hands. Smear peanut butter on your hands and then wash them in water. My nephew was helping me yesterday and he told me about this and it works great! Haven't tried the crunchy type yet but I'm sure it works aswell!  :D

Steve

OneWithWood

Also a great way to catch any number of critters ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mark M

So then, do you rub jelly on them to get rid of the peanut butter?   :D

Kevin_H.

If you used the crunchy would that be like pumice(sp)?

cleans them up in a Jiff.... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

wiam

Since you started it, I have been told that salad dressing (Miracle Whip) will take off pitch. I have never tried it but a friend that worked in power line clearing and swears by it.  

William

Texas Ranger

Hey, stop wastin' food, WD40 will do it!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

redpowerd

don, diesel works well in small amounts and if your patient, but it makes my peanut butter and salad dressing sammiches taste funny :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

RMay

I use rubbing alcohol for pine sap. It cleans up your hands good but if you have a cut on your hands you can have a run a way :D ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Lenny

Cooking grease works well too.Takes care of dry skin too :)

Brian_Bailey

I've been told that gloves work pretty well too  ;D.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

RMay

What and get pine sap all over new gloves . :D :D :D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bro. Noble

When I taught Shop classes in Voc. AG,  the girls were especially concerned about leaving class with dirty hands and fingernails.  I told them a couple of hints that my grandad taught me.  Before you start,  wet a bar of handsoap and dig some under your fingernails then coat your hands with the soap and rub them together until dry.  When you're done with your messy tasks,  your hands will be easier to clean and your fingernails will also.  If you get your hands real grimy (this works with pine sap too) wash them in a little motor oil (new) and then soap and water.  The oil doesn't leave the odor that gas or diesel leaves and cleans better.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

biziedizie

Hmmmmm now how did I know that my little post would turn into this! lol!
  I think I will answer the replies!

Yes the peanut butter does atrract critters like the squirrel this am but the tree is down and so is his home!
  Mark jelly is for samwiches and not for the hands!
  As long as it's only rubbing alcohol and not the real stuff!
  Gloves? Don't own a pair! Never have and never will.
  Miracle whip is great with salmon and fish.
  WD 40 is for frying eggs when camping! Yummy!
  Cooking grease? Do you use it before or after you cook with it!
  When I'm on the job sites I use PR88, it's a glycerin base and it's great plus it keeps your hands from cracking.

Steve

Mark M

I know another way to clean hands - use a little baking soda and liquid dish soap. A chemical reaction occurs that causes the release of ammonia. This combined with the pumice-like properties of baking soda really works well. This also works to get rid of that stinky northern pike smell if you are cleaning fish.

You-betcha!

biziedizie

You clean your own fish Mark? I thought that's what the wife was for! My ex would clean fish for me but now she's gone...sad...sad....lol!

Steve

Haytrader

Hey Mark,

Does it work on southern pike too??

8) 8)  8)
Haytrader

wiam

Kind of makes me ask,  How did we learn all these tricks?  If our other halfs saw us eating with the dirty hands that we got peanut butter on, and said how come my hands are cleaner after lunch, what would they think.

William

Dave_Fullmer

Steve, Why do you think she left?
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

biziedizie

You wanna know why she left Dave? Like do you really want to know? If you do I will tell ya!

Steve

ohsoloco

I use mineral spirits for all of my sap removal needs.  Got into some really sappy spruce one time...had to wipe down the tracks on the lumbermate with mineral spirits periodically b/c the rollers on the carriage wouldn't move on the sap...and of course I had to wipe down the throttle lever, raise/lowering handle, and the kitchen floor  :-/  

Minnesota_boy

That should teach you not to saw in the kitchen.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Dave_Fullmer

No Steve, I really don't want to know :D :D.  I just thought the fish cleaning might have done it;
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

ohsoloco

Better to saw in the kitchen than on the living room carpet...I don't know how to get sap out of carpet  ???

burlman

well my food recipe for gummy hands, try a glob of margarine with a spoon full of sugar, the oil softens the gum, the sugar provides the grit to scrape it off. and only half the calories. good night all.....burlman

Jeff

Budd lake Bar hamburger grease removes the blue stain you get from handling wood with tannic acid and then touching steel.

One day at work years ago my hands were quite blue from handling maple all morning. I used the gojo at lunch with the added pumice and it didnt touch it. Went up and got a burger for lunch. Made my discovery when the grease from the burger ran down the side of my hand and into my palm leaving a clean streak along its route.

TRUE STORY! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

kneeding bread will clean them too.  Every time I make bread I tell my wife that my hands were dirty. :-/ :D

biziedizie

Ohhhhhh yummy Tom! Can you send me a loaf of that bread!

Steve

Jeff

He's lieing about the dirty hands. His bread is good and he knows it. He does it so Gael don't eat any and he gets it all.

During my artist phase I used to use stuff called glove in a can. Spray it on your hands before you start. Oil paints are terrible to get off. With this stuff soap and water took it all right off.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ARKANSAWYER

Rubbing alcohol and Ivory soap will clean sap right off and leave no order.  We know that the alcohol will clean you up because when filling the quart jars the sap would come off real quick.  GrandPa had hands cleaner than any Preacher. ;D
  Since Rmay and I live in dry countys we use rubbing alcohol. ;)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ohsoloco

Jeff, maybe you should offer to clean the bar's grease traps for them...you could market your own hand cleaner, but ya done went and told the rest of us.  Or is it just that one place that has such potent grease?  

Thank You Sponsors!