Sponsors:

Cooks HD3238?

Started by redprospector, February 09, 2015, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Anybody running a Cooks HD3238 mill?
Experience?
Opinions?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Do they really exist?   :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

york

Hi,there are several FF members that have this fine mill,hang in there,they must be really busy.....
Albert

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

Quote from: beenthere on February 10, 2015, 02:35:13 PM
red
Do you have one?
No, I'm weighing options. Thinking about upgrading from my old home made mill.
A lot of people talk about Wood-Mizer, and Timberking (I'm looking at them too), but I haven't heard much about Cooks (particularly this model), and wanted to hear some "real world" experience.

SPD748

I drove down to Cook's several years ago and had a look at their mills. All were very well built with plenty of features. One thing I found odd was the direct hydraulic controls on mill bed functions and electric solenoid over hydraulic controls on the mill head functions. Basically, the log loading, turning and clamping are all direct hydraulic while the actual sawing of the log was a hand held box full of switches. Now, I'm not saying one system works better than another however I personally would like love their mills if they were all straight hydraulic valve controls instead of the electric over hydraulic controls. Again, personally, I prefer the 'feel' of hydraulic handles over electric switches. Now, this is a personal preference and in no way a negative review of Cook's products. They are really nice people turning out a really nice product.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ozarkgem

Quote from: SPD748 on February 10, 2015, 06:44:20 PM
I drove down to Cook's several years ago and had a look at their mills. All were very well built with plenty of features. One thing I found odd was the direct hydraulic controls on mill bed functions and electric solenoid over hydraulic controls on the mill head functions. Basically, the log loading, turning and clamping are all direct hydraulic while the actual sawing of the log was a hand held box full of switches. Now, I'm not saying one system works better than another however I personally would like love their mills if they were all straight hydraulic valve controls instead of the electric over hydraulic controls. Again, personally, I prefer the 'feel' of hydraulic handles over electric switches. Now, this is a personal preference and in no way a negative review of Cook's products. They are really nice people turning out a really nice product.

-lee
I would guess the reason for the electric over hyd on the head is that it is less expensive to run elec wire than hydraulic hose.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

JB Griffin

Also easier to have a remote control box on a 15ft cable so you can walk around the mill and run the head controls.

I also would rather have direct hyd. head controls, but its almost unavailable on a mill.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

redprospector

Thanks for the replies.
I understand why the electronics mixed with hydraulics are used. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm battling the electronics on my Bobcat hydraulic controls right now. I guess everything is a tradeoff, when their working right I really like them, when they're not, I really don't like them.

5quarter

Lee, I think Cooks current line up is fully hydraulic...no electronic controls.

Red...If I were to buy another mill, it would be the HD3238. I'm guessing that most people ready to spend that kind of $$ decide to go the whole 9 yards and get the AC36. A couple guys here do own the HD3238. Maybe they'll see your thread.

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kelLOGg

For what its worth, I have the MP32 which is the same frame and sawhead cage but w/o the hydraulics. It is very rugged - been using it for more than 12 years.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

JB Griffin

When I was looking for a mill I called Cooks and they told me that they had a sale on and for like $2k more I could get the gas motor AC36, watch for a sale and get the AC36, Kinda no brainer. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

redprospector

Quote from: 5quarter on February 11, 2015, 02:13:49 AM
Lee, I think Cooks current line up is fully hydraulic...no electronic controls.

Red...If I were to buy another mill, it would be the HD3238. I'm guessing that most people ready to spend that kind of $$ decide to go the whole 9 yards and get the AC36. A couple guys here do own the HD3238. Maybe they'll see your thread.
What are you sawing with now? The fact that you would buy one says something for them.

redprospector

Quote from: kelLOGg on February 11, 2015, 06:56:08 AM
For what its worth, I have the MP32 which is the same frame and sawhead cage but w/o the hydraulics. It is very rugged - been using it for more than 12 years.
Bob
Thanks Bob,
The frame on the Cook's mills is one of the things that kinda draws me to them.
Quote from: JB Griffin on February 11, 2015, 09:22:52 PM
When I was looking for a mill I called Cooks and they told me that they had a sale on and for like $2k more I could get the gas motor AC36, watch for a sale and get the AC36, Kinda no brainer. ;D
That's kinda what I'm looking for. What is the real difference between the AC36 and the HD3238? Is it just the difference of the AC36 taking a 36" diameter log, and the HD3238 only taking a 32" log? What's the difference in production with comparable engines? I seldom get a log over 24" so either mill would handle anything I get around here.

SPD748

One difference that I'm aware of is the band wheel diameter. The HD3238 has 19" wheels while the AC36 has 26" wheels.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

5quarter

Red...I've been running a shop built mill for years. comparable to the mid priced MP-32, I suppose. Just for laughs, I'll post a few pictures of it one of these days.  :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JB Griffin

On the HD3238 you can only get setworks, on the AC36 you can get setworks and a debarker, in addition to the band wheel difference, If I could have found a used AC36 diesel w/ setworks and debarker reasonably priced and reasonably close I would bought it over my LT40.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

FarmingSawyer

I'll be following this thread as I have my sites set on an AC36 when I get rich and famous......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

redprospector

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on February 15, 2015, 05:03:05 PM
I'll be following this thread as I have my sites set on an AC36 when I get rich and famous......
I don't think the famous part is necessary, the rich part would be a big help though.  :D

sweetfarm

-lee
If you search Cooks YouTube page you will find a video of a mill they built for an Amish fellow.   All hydraulic with no electrical on the hydraulics.   He makes the comment that it is more difficult to use but, you get used to it.  If you want no electric they will build it!

esteadle

-lee
My Timber Harvester 30HT25 is electric over Hydraulic the same way that Cooks is -- for Head up / down and Carriage forward / advance (I also have width switch to move the roller bearing and in/out, to open the throat). 
I've replaced a lot of parts in my hydraulic loops since 2003: hoses, valves, and motors. I've never replaced a hydraulic solenoid valve. 
Electric over hydraulic is required for Setworks, which make lumber far more accurately than you could without them. 

sweetfarm

Accurate and consistent!
It really is faster than direct hydraulics.  The computer can do math and, make moves faster than you can.
Glad to hear that part of your mill has been trouble free.

farmfromkansas

I have the old MP32, really tough long life mill.  Mine is an 05 model.  You can add the electric power feed, and a few other helpful options, I use the electric winch to turn logs, helps to hook a chain onto it when you turn really big logs, hooked to the bumper of my truck,  helps keep from bending something.  I have used a chain saw to cut some off the big end of logs to get my mill around them.  Have a big one laying there waiting to get cut up now.  The extra capacity would be welcome at my place, to be able to cut a 36" diameter log. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

KenMac

I do believe the HD3238 is on the same frame as the AC 36. My AC 36 is very stout and well made. I like the controls and the computer set works. They're all expensive, but Cook's are less than WM I think for comparable capabilities. I am happy with my choice.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!