iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 up and down switch

Started by head block, October 30, 2007, 05:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

head block

My LT40 has got slow to react when trying to raise the head up. Any help from anyone?

Tom

depending on the year, it could be a slipping belt, worn contacts on the drum switch, dirty tower, Chain needs adjusting, dirty battery terminals or a loose connection, brushes in the motor either worn or not making good contact.  Brushes are a good thing to keep in a spare parts kit.

Welcome to the forum, Head block.

LOGDOG

Also, lube the masts with WD40 or Silicone spray. I wasn't for a while and went through two up/down motors. Sawdust can build in there creating friction, this makes the up/down motor work too hard and heat up which can damage the armature (sp?). Hope you can find a quick fix. Good thing about WoodMizers - it's never anything major - usually aquick fix.

LOGDOG

pineywoods

Here's some things I found will cause slow up-travel.  Burned contacts on the up-down drum switch.  worn out brushes on the up-down motor. broken wire leads going to the same motor. use a voltmeter to measure the voltage right at the motor, should be at least 12 volts. Bad battery not delivering a full 12 volts. Low lube level in the up-down gearbox. It should be full of atf. Fix the problem first, then if you still want faster up, look in this forum for a thread titled "faster up for older woodmizers"
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bibbyman

Tom and Friends pretty much covered what it could be so I'll just say...

Welcome to the Forum.   8)

Let us know what it turns out to be...
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Headblock please clarify exactly what is happening. These guys have covered the points clearly.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

head block

Thanks everbody for the input. I checked the drum switch and the contacts were bad, filed them and put some grease on them,everything worked fine.Thanks again from everybody.

Slabs

head block

I have had some success building up the drum switch contacts with silver bearing solder.  Silver bearing is a little harder than the tin-lead mixtures and can be applied with a heavy gun or iron.  Build up a little glob and file down to shape.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!