iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cummins Down

Started by 4x4American, October 14, 2015, 10:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

My main work truck is a '98.5 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 straight pipe roar.  The Airdog Raptor FRRP-1001 lift pump crapped out on me the other day going down the road.  Luckily my low psi fuel lamp warned me and I shut her down before starving the VP-44 injector pump enough to kill it too, I hope.  The fuel filter housing is leaking too.  So now I need a fuel filter housing, and some sort of aftermarket lift pump.  Anybody have any suggestions as to where I can find a fuel filter housing?  Also, I need a different lift pump.  Not going to go back with the Raptor pump since it left me stranded on the side of the road.  Need to get this truck going asap!
Boy, back in my day..

North River Energy

Do a CL search for 'Cummins' in VT.  There's a guy up in Wolcott who claims to have 'everything you need'.  Never done business with, so have no idea if he's reputable, but a phone call is cheap.

JB Griffin

I know how to fix your problems quick....buy a PowerStroke. ;D
But seriously I cant help you but what was wrong with the oem lift pump that you changed it? If its a low pressure lift pump you could put a 12v inline pump to supply the injector pump, they run about $30-$40 at any parts house.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

4x4American

Quote from: North River Energy on October 14, 2015, 12:39:10 PM
Do a CL search for 'Cummins' in VT.  There's a guy up in Wolcott who claims to have 'everything you need'.  Never done business with, so have no idea if he's reputable, but a phone call is cheap.

I actually called a local shop today, and he called his friend, who gave me that guys number (pretty sure). 

Thanks for the link JB.  As for the powerstroke...I am actually considering one.  What years are the good uns?

I got a warranty unit from Air Dog being shipped to me, so I guess I'll run that!

Also, I found a video on a fix on that fuel canister leak I have, and it looked real simple, so I reckon I'm gonna do that.  Gotta figure out the computer problem too.

I have some short somewhere.  When I hit the left blinker, my wipers go three times, right blinker, wipers go twice.  Hit the horn, wipers go three times, turn on my headlights wipers go three times, and then sometimes they'll just stay on constantly when driving at night, in which case I have to shut off the headlights for about a minute, and then try again.  When I turn headlights back on, the wipers will either go 3x or stay on...where to look...

I've gotten to the point where I just take the wiper fuse out, and when I need the wipers I spend 5 min finding that little fuse in my armrest that's cluttered to the moon and then I just pop em in, sometimes I do it at a stop light without getting outta the truck if I have the fuse in my hand and don't have to look for it.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: JB Griffin on October 14, 2015, 01:28:36 PM
I know how to fix your problems quick....buy a PowerStroke. ;D
But seriously I cant help you but what was wrong with the oem lift pump that you changed it? If its a low pressure lift pump you could put a 12v inline pump to supply the injector pump, they run about $30-$40 at any parts house.

The oem lift pump on these trucks are garbage and the number one cause of the Bosch VP-44 Injection pump failing ($1300 injector pump).  The guy who had it before me had one of them FASS fuel systems on it but he took it off.  Anyways, if the VP-44 isn't getting a certain fuel psi into it, the pump won't be cooled or lubricated properly and it will grenade.  I have a warning light on my A-pillar gauge cluster that will tell me when I'm not meeting that required psi.  My OEM pump I could tell was going out because it would light that light up when I was stomping on the pedal.  So that's when I said I'd better get an aftermarket pump on here stat. 
Boy, back in my day..

Texas-Jim

Fuel heater is probably just the o ring leaking, its a 4 dollar part.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Gearbox

As for your wireing woes . I had a 94 Dakota that would drop the cruse when you used the left turn signal . I think they took wireing lessons from freightliner . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

JB Griffin

What pressure does the injector pump need to stay alive? Some of those pumps will put 10-15 psi which is too much for the average carb or old school injector pump.

As for the Strokes I would look for a '00-early '03 7.3 w/ 6speed unless you can swing a '08-'10 6.4 or '11+ 6.7.  The early 6.7's had issues but are doing better now and will flat out pull anything else pickup wise, iirc the '14 model had 500hp 800 ft lbs torque. :o :o :o

sandsawmill14

I think they took wireing lessons from freightliner . Gearbox
[/quote]

:D :D :D swap to chevy and mack and you wont have these problems ;D  :D :D :D
but you will have other problems :(  :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

Quote from: Gearbox on October 14, 2015, 07:38:10 PM
As for your wireing woes . I had a 94 Dakota that would drop the cruse when you used the left turn signal . I think they took wireing lessons from freightliner . Gearbox

Know something, my cruise control stopped working too.  On the way back home from North Carolina.  I wonder if it's related.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: JB Griffin on October 14, 2015, 07:46:26 PM
What pressure does the injector pump need to stay alive? Some of those pumps will put 10-15 psi which is too much for the average carb or old school injector pump.

As for the Strokes I would look for a '00-early '03 7.3 w/ 6speed unless you can swing a '08-'10 6.4 or '11+ 6.7.  The early 6.7's had issues but are doing better now and will flat out pull anything else pickup wise, iirc the '14 model had 500hp 800 ft lbs torque. :o :o :o

No less than 10psi and no more than 20.
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

JB Griffin

4x4American

I wonder how reliable they are.  Air Dog is sending me a new lift pump under warranty so I'm just gonna go with that.  But thanks for the links.
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Don't know how reliable they I was just huntin cheap, and easy to get.

redprospector

I've been running the "Dodge" Cummins trucks for years. I've never figured out why they put a 500,000 mile engine in a Dodge.  :D
When you start checking out the wiring, check your motor mounts. Sounds crazy I know, but my 97 broke the right motor mount, engine dropped down and rested the oil pan on the cross member. On it's way down the fan busted out the bottom of the shroud, where someone at Dodge, in their infinite wisdom, routed the wiring harness. Now when I use my high beams the wipers come on high and stay on. The windshield washer pumps and I get 5 wipes with the use of the left blinker, and absolutely nothing happens when I try to use the right blinker. Oh, and the cruise quit working too.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

jamesamd

Don't forget , that it may be the fuel pressure sending unit that has failed!
You should take a pressure reading inline of the system ,should be a plug on the injector pump to get that .
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

sandhills

Not a mechanic, just a DIY, I agree with the previous post on fuel pressure, as far as the wiring problems I'd start with cleaning every ground you can find, probably not the solution but that's my 2 cents worth.

4x4American

Quote from: jamesamd on October 14, 2015, 10:48:22 PM
Don't forget , that it may be the fuel pressure sending unit that has failed!
You should take a pressure reading inline of the system ,should be a plug on the injector pump to get that .

We just dropped the tank to fix a leak up there and the sending unit was good.
Boy, back in my day..

vt k-9

That guy in Wolcott lives just down the road 2 miles . He has more parts than Dodge. Goodperson

Thank You Sponsors!