iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of knife do you use?

Started by pappy19, November 17, 2008, 05:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

I have a few Randall Made Knives and a few from Ruana Knife Works. What do you all use for hunting and also for a daily user? I carry a Benchmade/Spiderco folder and a small Swiss Army.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Tom

I carry a Case Trapper for work and a Case Peanut for dress.

For butchering or general kitchen work, I use one out of a set of Chicago Cutlery knives that contains butcher, filet, chef, boning and pareing blades.

Texas Ranger

So many, and so few I know the name of, Puma, Buck, Crown, Case, Gerber, and some old ones from the family I haven't looked at in years.  The pocket is a Gerber and a Swiss army.  That's not counting the collector military stuff in the safe.  
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ely

for carry, i have a moore maker 2 blade and a rough rider 2 blade. to many others to list in my possesion. i think i lost 2 pages full when my house burned, but i did salvage a parker 3 blade from the ashes.

Radar67

Have a small Case for the pocket and a Gerber multi-tool for the belt. Also have a Case Skinner for hunting, and an SF Survival for military. Several others (meaning many) in my collection. ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dave Shepard

I carry a Letherman Wave. It has both a straight and serrated knife, both on the outside, and accessible with one hand. The basic layout and design is good, but the tools are very brittle, on the first one, I broke several of the tools, including one jaw!! off of the knife. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rbhunter

Gerber 2 1/2 lock blade and a small Kobalt folding utility knife with replacable blades in handle.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

beenthere

I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Electrician Pocket Knife.
Has 4 "blades", includes a large knife blade, electrician's blade, wire scraper, reamer, bottle opener, screwdriver, and wire stripper.

For deer and elk, I have a Buck 2-blade folding/locking with a skinning blade, and a tear-drop blunt-nose, straight blade for gutting.

I lost my favorite in the CO mountains on an elk hunt, which was a Case antler-handle 6-inch straight blade. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I carry a Leatherman Kick equipped with a pocket clip.  It's a stripped down Leatherman with pliers, two straight screwdrivers and a Phillips, can opener and a clip point knife.  All the extra stuff just adds weight and I would rarely use it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Banjo picker

Use:  Leatherman Blast, 2 Sheffields one with a razerblade other with knofe and saw and a case trapper with the old yellow handles....the others never leave the house...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

JimMoore

I carry a Case and a Buck for hunting

Rocky_J

Quote from: pappy19 on November 17, 2008, 05:16:51 PM
I have a few Randall Made Knives and a few from Ruana Knife Works. What do you all use for hunting and also for a daily user? I carry a Benchmade/Spiderco folder and a small Swiss Army.
Randall knives are made here in Orlando. As a teen I worked at the Christmas tree lot next door to the Randall driveway, and my dad took us to eat at the Steak and Ale next door once a month. You gotta look closely or you can drive right by it without ever knowing it's there.

pigman

I carry a small cheap Sabre. I have found out the germination rate on the cheap knives is just as good as the expensive ones. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pappy19

Quote from: Rocky_J on November 17, 2008, 09:26:00 PM
Quote from: pappy19 on November 17, 2008, 05:16:51 PM
Randall knives are made here in Orlando. As a teen I worked at the Christmas tree lot next door to the Randall driveway, and my dad took us to eat at the Steak and Ale next door once a month. You gotta look closely or you can drive right by it without ever knowing it's there.

My brother lives in Tampa and in the 1970's I would go visit him. We would make the treck to Orlando every time to the Randall shop. The biggest argument was to go to the Randall shop first or to Gary's Duck Inn close to Randall's on Orange Blossom. Randall's always was first; I could always eat. I understand that the Duck Inn is no more, but the Randall shop is still putting out the finest American made knife there is. They are now 60 months out on orders.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WildDog

I only use Old Timers, I like the high carbon steel, everday use is a 3 blade pocketknife, (these have great castrating blades) skinning is a 152 straight blade and a 158 with gut hook, my sons carry the OT Gold Bears lock knives. I am always on the lookout for good second hand original ones.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

I have a lot of different knives sitting in drawers. I hardly ever carry a knife. I don't even like keys in my pockets. And I hate belts. :D

Had to go look at the names on some of the cases.

Gerber
Frost
Swiss Army
ESP Bienne
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jdtuttle

Have a great day

SwampDonkey

:D :D Got one of them too, in the tool box.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I carry a 2" Kershaw locking blade for everyday.

For small game I have a 4" Remmington skinner's knife and for large game I have a 6" buck with a gut hook
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ely

paid for a buck that has a saw and gut hook on it last nite. hope it gets here quick.

Larry

I see in his last flyer A.G. Russell has bout a 100 Randall knives on hand...course there a little more pricey than straight from Randall.

For my daily carry knife I've been using one designed by local knife maker Bob Dozier.  It's sold by Ka-Bar and made in Tawain.  It has a clip and thumb stud so I can deploy it fast one handed.  Best part is it don't hurt near as much when I loose one.

I lust for a Paul knife but I'd be scared to carry it because they cost so DanG much...and what good is a knife that stays in the drawer?

Then there is this one for hunting.  It's to heavy, clunky, and the steel is tempered to hard.

It does have one re-deeming quality...it was cheap cause I made it some 30 years ago.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pigman

I just gotta ask. Will that knife carve that turkey behind it.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

IL Bull

I carry a Case pocket knife with carbon steel blades.  i use Old Hickory carbon steel knives in the kitchen and for butchering. 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

DanG

This bad boy has ridden on my hip for either 12 or 18 years, not sure which.  The reason for that little uncertainty is, I got one 18 years ago and really liked it.  Then, about 12 years ago, I picked up another one at an auction.  I lost one of them, and I don't know which.  Anyway, if I got my britches on, it is right there, and it gets used for no tellin' what, multiple times a day.  It is a Bucklite 426v.  The handle is the same plastic they make them Glock guns out of, and you can't tell it has ever been used.  That is some tough stuff!

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

I've got one of those DanG that I got for Christmas years ago. That is my hunting knife. I really like it and it holds a good edge.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!