iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Avoiding Capacitor ZAP from Log splitter !

Started by ~smokey~, February 28, 2018, 01:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~smokey~

I'm doing the single handed operation mod which requires dealing with the start capacitor, I've read that grounding it causes damage so I'm wondering how long would the wood splitter need to be unplugged to discharge the capacitor to a safe level ?

Ianab

A piece of wire and a couple of alligator clips will discharge a capacitor. Might be a small spark when you connect it, hold the plastic bits of the clip.  If it's a BIG one, add a resistor to limit the current, and leave it there for a few seconds. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

You tie a bleed down resister across the cap terminals .Takes the bite out of them .Google it if you want

~smokey~

Thanks Ianib and Al, appreciate it, I was thinking I could just leave the thing unplugged for a few weeks and let it bleed down but apparently that's not the case at all, I'll post some info I found for anyone else interested in working on capacitors for the first time, I'll be sourcing parts to build a Bleed Resistor before I continue working on mine.

From my Google search.

"Is there a better method of discharging caps before working with them?  Do they discharge on there own after time ?"

Credit to Paul Joppa from the Bottlehead Forum for the following answer.

"Caps are specified for maximum leakage, which translates to "it takes at least this long for it to discharge". The leakage gets less as the voltage drops, very strongly, so it takes a very long time indeed. I did a quick calculation that it takes a minimum of 10 days to lose 10% of the voltage, but the next 10% would take three months, and the next 10% after that, two years. At that point you are at no less than 73% voltage, or 180v on a 250v cap - not a good idea !"

DelawhereJoe

How to Discharge an Air Conditioner Capacitor | Home Guides | SF Gate
I've never had to do this on a pool pump motor, normally then I work on the motor capacitors they are already done for.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

~smokey~

Thank You Sponsors!