iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody got a lead on kiln cart wheels cheap?

Started by Kelvin, January 03, 2007, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I was looking at nyles cart wheels.  I need 8 of them and at $35 each, with shipping, probably about $330 worth of wheels?  Augh!  Any ideas?  Anybody find a supplier some where?  I'm sure they are great wheels.
Thanks for the help,
KP

Tom

The only place I've seen adds for cartwheels was Talladaga Machine.

SwampDonkey

Any chance your near an old junk yard? I can think of different carts or steel containers that run on steel wheels, some tracked. Any old scrapped steel plants? Got nothing like that around here as this region isn't the heart of the industrial machine. Confederation centralized everything.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

In our area you have to catch such stuff pronto,
or its on its way to the smelters in China!
:-\
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

brdmkr

Kelvin,

Try surpluscenter.com.  They have lots of cart wheels that should work.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

PineNut

Grainger has some 4 inch cast iron V grove wheels for $10. They are rated at 800 pounds. The Grainger item # is 2MV78.

BBTom

I know what you mean, but I bit the bullet and got my wheels from Nyle.  They are definately heavy duty, with greasers on them.  Good luck with finding something to take their place.  If you do, let us all know about it!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

PineNut

Those from Grainger also have grease fittings on them. Also rated for 800 degrees F

Ga_Boy

Kelvin,

A word of cuation here.

If you have not already done so calculate the working load of your kiln cart. Then make sure you have wheels rated to carry the weight.

For example, my cart can carry 18 feet of material, the calcuated weight of green White Oak is 20,000 pounds.  I have 16 wheels on my cart; that is eight on each side.  I opted for one side to have the V grove casters, the other side are flat casters.  On the V grove side I opted of the machine ductle steel casters, the falt ones are cast.

Please do not try to cut a few coreners here that may end up costing you big is a month or so.

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Don_Lewis

The Nyle wheels are rated at 2500 pounds. They are grooved and flat so can be used either way. You should allow 4-5 pounds per board foot. (4000 BF load = 15-20000 lbs depending on species.)  If you are in an area where there has been coal mining, wheels seem to be easy to find. If you find a good deal on new wheels, don't buy anything with any galvanized steel or rubber.

Warren

Kelvin,

There is an outfit on eBay selling the wheels for about $12.50 a piece.  Rated about 800 lbs each.  After doing the math on a 4,000 to 5,000 bf kiln charge  of green oak,  I also bit the bullet and bought the 2,500 lb wheels from Nyle along with the DH unit and fans.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

DR Buck

Kelvin,

As promised in my email...............

I bought my cart wheels from Ace Caster in Texas.   They're rated at 4000 lbs each.  Four of them will support 16000 lbs of lumber.   I bought the  4" POWER WHEEL W/ 1/2" AXLE: MVG042832BB08AX.  They are $27.20 with the axle bolt (with zerk) included.     Here is the link to the web site.

Ace Caster Inc

I went with the 4" over the larger 6" to keep from losing additional overhead capacity and to keep the kiln cart as close to the floor as possible.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

kderby

I recently had a good visit with a professional kiln maintenance man.  He was adament about the need for the best possible wheels.  He suggested replaceable nylon bushings as a good thing.  He just did not let up on the concept that fighting bad wheels was a losing fight.  I hope I get to visit with him again. 

Good luck Kelvin.

KD

Kelvin

Finally built new carts.  Got 6" wheels from grainger for $17 that are 1,000 lbs each. zerks and roller bearings.   I bought a bunch of 3" channel, 2 pieces 8' long on each side of a wheel like nyle had theirs.  tube cross beams.  Built two carts that run on angle iron.  Can push em in fairly easy  as my old barn is sagged quite a lot so we are pushing the wet load uphill.  They however roll right back out so unloading is easy!

Thank You Sponsors!