iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moisture meters

Started by lynches lumber, November 28, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynches lumber

Looking to buy a moisture meter. Dont have to be top of the line. Just want something  accurate and dependable. Any recommendations?

red oaks lumber

i use a lignomat pin style for quick  moisture checks and a delmhorst slide hammer style for more accurate checks. price range from $200-$1500.
if you only want to check ballpark moisture readings you can go cheaper  but, if your selling kiln dried lumber or making flooring where accuracy is your reputation or custom kiln dry. spend the bigger money now to save your reputation later.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

I have a pinless Wagoner that is really nice.  However, it runs about $400.  My experience with a cheap moisture meter ($130 is not all that cheap is it?) was very poor. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

The previous post are true but I'll add a couple thoughts. A pin type like a Delmhorst J2000 is good for checking 4/4 lumber. Add a slide hammer with insulated "nails" and you can now get to the core of thicker lumber. The drawback is the holes the nails leave. The Wagner pinless is good for 4/4 and it will detect a wet core in 8/4 but they are only accurate to a depth of about 3/4".

Magicman

I have the older analog pinless Wagoner.  It serves me well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

with those "nail" holes i get more for my wood.. reclaimed ;D ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

DR Buck

I use a Delmhorst J2000.  Yea, it leaves holes in the edge of the boards.   They're small and I've never had a comment or question about them.   I guess they disappear when jointing the edges.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

lynches lumber

thanks for the input guys. So I gather you dont think the one at lowes for $29.98 will get it huh? :D

shelbycharger400

I use a ryobi pinless ($50) home depot,  they claim it measures to 1/2 in deep... i use it for firewood i use, and wood i sell.    Makes the customers feel good on the spot that its not green as a gord (25-35 percent is fresh cut). my firewood im buring, reads 10-12 percent or less and it sat for 3 years uncovered,  this minute..just check'd the floor in here. 1 in thick t +g hard maple , read 8 percent..  its been in here when the house was built  1960

cypresskayaksllc

I like my wagner pinless. But Ive never had any other kind.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

OneWithWood

I use three different meters depending on the thickness of the wood.  I have a Delmhorst R-2000 with a slide-hammer probe that will bury the insulated pins as far as I need for 8/4 lumber, a Delmhorst J-2000 that will also accept the slide-hammer rig and a Lignomat pinless unit.  The pinless is good for 4/4 if I need a quick reference but I don't trust it much beyond surface measure. 
I have never achieved the same reading with all three meters on the same board but the two Delmhorst units are close.
One thing that I have noticed is that the temp of the board is critical to accurate readings.  I can get the surface temp with an infrared unit used in auto mechanics but I cannot get a good reading 1" into the board.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DR Buck

OWW -  I think it's crap shoot on consistancy of MC measurement.   I can take a set of readings, calculate the average, clear the meter and take a second set and end up with a different average MC.   Close, but different.

On the J-2000 I usually set the species then the temp setting to whatever the current inside-the-box temperture reading  display on the controller and over temp sensor reads. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ATLGA

Even when I set the temp on my J2000 to match the kiln/lumber temp I notice a small amount of MC change displayed on the J2000 once the lumber cools.
America First.

Den Socling

Electrical characteristics do change with temperature but not by a fixed value. It all depends on the wood which has a lot of variation in characteristics. In other words, I believe you are 100% correct. I have seen the same thing with pinless meters.

swampbuggy

I am also looking for a moisture meter and ran across this article. Gave some interesting information and viewpoint. Swamp

http://woodgears.ca/lumber/moisture_meter.html
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Thank You Sponsors!