iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are these burls?

Started by florida, November 18, 2007, 05:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Or what? This is an oak tree that I ran across yesterday on a walk. This one was the biggest and had the most growths on it but there were 4 or 5 more in the area that had the same growths on them.  I would guess this tree was about 30 inches and the others half that size. Strangest thing I've ever seen on a tree.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Don K

Looks like some I have seen in pics before but iI am not a expert. Now that I know what is inside those things, I wish I could remember where I have seen some in the past. 

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DanG

I don't know much about burls, either, but that's what it looks like.

This reminds me, is there any such thing as a pine burl?  There is a great big chubby pine tree in a local churchyard that has a big knob of some kind on it. ??? :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dana

DanG there is a little Scotch (I think) pine on Beaver Island that has at least 15 burls on it. The tree is about 20 foot tall and has a 4" dia trunk.Its probably 30 or 40 years old and stunted. Pics this weekend if anyone wishes. :)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jon12345

I have seen some on scots pine as well, but they were small.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Ironwood

YUP,

Burls occur with all kinds of variations. Most oaks that I have seen dont burl densely (not like cherry or maple) where there are "pin knots", sharp spikey things (eyes) sticking out, bur oak in England may be one exception, but even then not w/ the distinction of some of the other sought after woods.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

getoverit

I've seen rust rot on pine trees that cause a growth like that, but I dont think I have ever seen a pine tree with burl.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

SwampDonkey

Find them once in a while on spruce and cedar. Don't recall them on fir, just witch's broom in the branches sometimes.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Witches broom.Them I have some of,not many burls to find.
Dana,I'm with DanG on this one too.When you post let us know where Beaver island is.MI?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

Pine burls I have seen are "onion peel" curly but not pin knots. All trees should onion peel, some go a step further to "pin knot" burl, that is the best for figure and exquisite turnings and furniture.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dana

No pictures until Monday. I'm on someone else's computer and can't upload the photos to the forum.

treecyclers

Based on the photo, i'd say they're burls. I am pretty sure that the grain you'll find in them will be breathtaking at best, interesting at worst.
Though they're small, you'll get some interesting wood from them!
Good find!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

florida

These trees are in a state wildlife reserve so they would probably get bent out of shape if I tried to make boards out of them!   
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Dana

DanG no pictures from me. >:( I didn't take my camera and used someones cell phone camera. I tried to e-mail them to myself but they are lost. I take new ones around Christmas.

Dana

DanG, As promised the pine burl photos. :)

SwampDonkey

Looks like dwarf mistletoe damage. That's what causes witch's broom in our balsam.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!