iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Setup

Started by Rougespear, May 09, 2015, 10:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

We just finished welding up my saw deck on my home brew bandmill.  The deck is welded solid within a 1/32" over the length (25') and side to side (bunks = 38").  Most of the saw bunks turned out perfect... I am more than happy.  I was being overly fussy because this is the fabrication stage and worth it to be in my opinion. 

My welder and I got to talking about setting up a mobile mill with a stringline.  How fussy are folks when setting up their mills at a new temporary location?  I understand if its a permanent installation then it counts to be more fussy, but how accurately leveled side-to-side and end-to-end is "good enough" for the mobile setup? Are folks using a stringline?  If so, where?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

boscojmb

I level front to back between the bunks with a 3' level and side to side with a 12" level.
Never tried a string line, but it sounds like it would work well.

When leveling my mill I try to get it dead on, but it may not be as critical as you would think. I had some young folks come by and play with my leveling jacks one night. They got it several inches out of wack. I didn't realize it at first and cut some lumber with it like that. The lumber was within 1/8", but the mill was out of level by 3" or so.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Magicman

I try to set up ½ bubble high on the loader side and also on the front end of the sawmill.  That way, the logs tends to roll onto the sawmill easier and favor the side support side.  That also adds some of the debarker weight and helps with the debarking action.  Front end high allows some the head weight to help the powerfeed motor when sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

I found on my new mill (EZ boardwalk Jr.) that with the weight of the carriage I want my tracks just as level as I can get them and with a darned solid base, as in big feet so it doesn't settle. I let the center blocks under the tracks get loose once and was sawing a dip in my boards. The log was supported on each end, but my mill was flexing the tracks down a fat 1/8". I was sawing corral boards for myself so it didn't matter.
I feel if I just take an extra couple minutes and do it right every time then it's just a natural part of setting up and looking like I know what I'm doing.
I also think what you can get away with on sawing a 200 lb. limb 6' long is a whole different world than sawing a 1500 lb. log 16' long.

Thank You Sponsors!