iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Concrete to post transition

Started by Hale87, May 03, 2016, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I'm trying to come up with a viable solution on how to make the transition from a two foot deep hole of concrete to a 8x8 post? Do they make some kind of plate for that? I can't find anything bigger than a 6x6.
What would be the most common way of tying down the base of that post?

Thanks for your help....
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Jim_Rogers

You can use a knife plate or have a welder make you a bracket the size you want.

I thought Simpson strong tie had a bracket for 8x8 posts.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bill m

Yes, Simpson strong tie has them for up to a 10 x 10 post.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

canopy

Timberlinx is another option and can be either set in place before the pour or drilled and epoxied after the pour. A moisture barrier is also wise such as sitting the posts on plexiglas pads.

Hale87

Thanks for your help. The darn things seem to be a bit pricey to me.  Most seem to be around or over 50 each. Any sources that are less? Thinking I can get a better one fabricated for that price.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Brad_bb

Don't cheap out on this connection.  We learned the hard way that it will save you lots of headaches if you use timber linx.  The advantage is that you install them after the concrete is poured and cured.  You can snap lines on the stem wall or piers and precisely locate them.  Wet setting, as with Simpson ties...well they'll never be as you wanted them.  They'll invariable be off and you'll have to bend them down flat, raise your frame and bend them back...try to bend them back straight, and predrill and nail a lot of nail holes with hot dip galvanized nails.  This will not be as clean or precise.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

dukndog

TImberlinx would be easy to copy, but they do have a patent!! Plus the double expansion sleeve they use are custom made longer than standard sleeves.

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

canopy

Beware though timberlinx is difficult to get the 2 drill holes to line up in the timber and you have to be nearly millimeter perfect. They sell an expensive alignment jig to do this and I'd say it or something like it is a must. The thing I like about timberlinx is it totally hides all the steel so all that is visible is the post. They also offer stainless steel for more $.

ziggy

I've used Timberlinx before with success (and no jig to help with alignment, didn't know about that at the time). They are indeed pricey and I'm hoping to find an alternative as well... does anyone have any other thoughts about tie-down methods?

Thank You Sponsors!