iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Cedar Trees

Started by 2Teamropers, June 16, 2015, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Teamropers

Looking for a company or individual who can log the cedar trees on our 26 ac. Please let me know if you have any contacts as we would like to get something done this summer. We live in Kerens, Texas, NE of Corsicana, TX.

beenthere

Welcome.. there is a "wanted" section to place ads.
And some rules to follow.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

starmac

IIRC member one of cedarmans mills is in Texas, not sure what part. He may have some good reliable contacts if he buys from your area.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

grassfed

I lived in Texas for 13 years and as I recall Texas Cedar (Juniperus ashei) is considered a weed tree. It can be used for posts but it seems like the kind of thing that the land owner would have to pay to have removed. The tree is bad for livestock pastures and tends to crowd out other vegetation. It is a heavy water user and many people have bad allergies to the pollen. I may be wrong but from what I recall it does not seem like loggers are going to want to do this unless they can be paid by the land owner. You might want to talk to some fence post producers in your area.

Mike

sandman2234

Re: Logging Cedar Trees
  A few years ago I hauled a pickup load of Daddy's "fence posts" rather than going out and cutting more back to Florida from SW Arkansas. My late father in law made some beautiful jewelry and silverware boxes, plus one cedar chest which now belongs to my daughter. Beauties, everyone of them. He did upholstery work for years and lined some of them. We just about wore out a 10" table saw cutting the logs into boards, because that was what we had to work with.
The right shop will pay dearly for that wood, but most likely won't be local.
David from jax

LeeB

There are some red cedar in parts of Texas. It's not all Mountain Juniper like you find in central and western parts of Texas. The mountain juniper actually make pretty lumber too if you can find them big enough to get a saw log out of. The often have a lot of bark inclusion though. I suspect the the cedar he has around Corsicana would be red cedar. Not sure how much luck you will have getting someone to log it for you, but there is a market for the logs. Not a whole lot of it in Texas.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!