iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225

Started by Bigredfaller, December 02, 2012, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigredfaller

I think it's an 8n.... It does the job, got the skidder to take some of the work load of it!
Husky 390's 36"-42", 05 duramax, Norwood Lumber mate 2000, Timberjack 225

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Bigredfaller on January 21, 2013, 06:32:19 PM
I think it's an 8n.... It does the job, got the skidder to take some of the work load of it!

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an 8N has 4 gears, and a 9N or 2N has 3. Pretty sure however many it is, an 8N has more than a 9N (which is earlier). 9N was introduced for 1939, 2N for 1942 (with very few differences from a 9N) and the 8N was introduced for 1948. That's where the numbers come from.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bigredfaller

Dave Shepard

Four forward, 1 reverse.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bigredfaller

So things have been busy, haven't had a chance to post anything on here for a while.... I seem to be having a winch brake issue.
Had a bit of a mishap the other day where the machine jumped out of gear backing down a hill, rather than let her run away I kicked it sideways and rolled her I er on her side.... No damage done and a couple of hours later had her back on her feet again..... How ever the winch ended up in a large puddle that quickly filled up with engine oil..... Now the winch won't hold up a load..... I pulled the cover off and shot a can of brake cleaner in there with the drum turning but it didn't seem to help. Do I need to remove the brake band and clean the entire thing?

Ken

In my experience the unfortunate reality is that when the brake band gets coated with oil or grease it can not be cleaned effectively.  Best to get a new band.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ed_K

Take band off bury it in kittylitter and bake in the oven for an hour (don't tell momma what your doin tho) ;D.I got an extra yr out-a it.
Ed K

beenthere

Yeah, momma wouldn't like all that kitty litter in her oven. Might be the end of my 'years'.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smwwoody

i have saved them a few times with a good super hot steam jenny with lots of good degreasing soap
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

loggah

Brakeclean works pretty well ,as well as heating it in a oven ,both ways work well. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Bigredfaller

K thanks guys, sounds like I need to take it off for sure... one of the operators here in camp said take a torch to it and bur the oil out of it..... Maybe a combination of all three would work?

Bigredfaller

Forrest277

Quote from: Ken on December 03, 2012, 04:34:19 AM
I've got a 1981 225E that is tough as board nails.  Although it's not as big as most skidders it will still do an amazing amount of work.  Just learn to work with what you have.                 

that looks the bisness ! built to last
Love my Husky ...

grassfed

Be careful with Brake-clean and heat. Brake-clean can release a toxic fume if it burns.
Mike

North River Energy

Bigredfaller

So, an update... I can stop! I put new brake shoes in, cleaned up the drum and rebuilt the cylinder and it all seems to work pretty good!
The kicking that was happening was caused by a piece of brake pad that had delaminated from the shoe and stuck to the inside of the drum....
From being parked for too long I assume....

The cylinder that applies the pressure to the shoes was frozen on one side... had to beat on it a bit to free it up. Then sand and polish the rough spots and clean it all up and it seems to work fine..... If any one knows where to find one i would be interested in replacing this one.... not sure how long it will hold together!

oh and on the winch... I hosed it down with brake clean and tightened up the brake cylinder a bit and it seems to work just fine... didnt have to take it off!

So small steps but we are getting there.... Hope to have it ready to log by the summer and maybe  it can start paying for its self!

Okrafarmer

Glad the little tumble you took wasn't any worse. If you'd been working a slope like in your profile picture, you might not be able to type any more.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bigredfaller

Thanks okra, ya that pic the valley bottom is a out 1500 feet down!
So as usual with old equipment you fix one thing and another pops up..... I was pulling a couple of logs to the mill the other day and every thing was going fine, as I backed up to my next turn I noticed that the 353 wouldn't idle down as low as on the previous turn.... Seems like its sitting at about a 1000 rpm as opposed to 5-600 where it should be... I have looked over the linkages and governer and can't see anything out of place.... Havent had a chance to tear anything apart yet.... There is what looks like an adjustment screw on the side of the governer body, I tried to turn it but it it wouldn't move easily so I stopped before I broke something....

Any ideas/suggestions?

logman81

That screw is your buffer screw don't use that to adjust your idle that is used to take the roll out of the idle. There is another screw on the back side of the govener towards the cab that is your idle screw good luck!
Precision Firewood & Logging

Bigredfaller

Thanks logman, not sure why it would all of a sudden change but I'll try that.... Learning lots and enjoying every minute of it!

logman81

No problem, another thing it could be is a weak or broken spring keeping it from going all the way back against the the screw. Try moving it by hand and see if you can get it to idle down.
Precision Firewood & Logging

missouriboy

I log here in Missouri and i want a timberjack 225 so i can start my own logging outfit but can't seem to find one. I would like to find one in good running shape. If i find one how much would be a good price for one.

Bigredfaller

Not sure about your area but they seem to range from around 5,000 to 20,00 depending on the age and shape of the machine.... Mine was at the lower end of the scale but required some work and parts$ to get it up to par.... depends on what you want to do, work on a machine or go logging!

welder1

I have a 225 tj with drum brakes does any no the size of nut that hold drum in place

Bigredfaller

I'm headed out to the machine today, I'll take a look and get back to you.

Thank You Sponsors!