iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

so i got a question for any state workers

Started by bigred1951, March 20, 2013, 01:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

this sadly doesnt have nothing to do with logging but im sure that some of you all can give me some advice..well as some of you may know i work at a prison and am a state employee..well i love the job but im having trouble with a couple of my superiors..seems like if your not kissing their butt they dont like you and im starting to have trouble holding my tongue >:( ..so im curious if anybody knows if its possible i could find another state job and transfer..i would love to maybe get on with a road dept or something of that nature.

beenthere

I could only suggest that you go to your state personnel dept and ask about jobs that you can apply for, and be considered for a transfer.
I'd not give the reason that you're looking because you are having trouble with your superiors, and just hope that these boss's wouldn't give you grief if they were asked to give you a recommendation (which they likely would be asked).
Be sure you continue doing your job without signs of not agreeing with your superiors. It just is the nature of the beast that you are working for them. And don't complain to fellow employees...that can get around all too fast.
Look for things that you can like about your job and count those as blessings, and try to override the dislikes.....if that is at all possible. Do everything you can to please the superiors, with the thought that it will get you out of the spot you are in at the moment.
Nothing pleasant about having a boss you cannot stand because of how they conduct themselves. But they are the boss and do rule the roost.
Wish you good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

If you love your job, you might want to continue going about your business and hold your tongue, nothing to say the next supervisor wont be worse than these. Until you own the place, you will always have to do it the bosses way.

Bill_G

Another reason I'm thankful to have always worked in the woods .

Leigh Family Farm

Can you transfer prisons? If you switch to a road crew, you would essentially start back at the bottom because Corrections is a different department from DOT. As a state employee, you would probably keep your salary and vacation levels, but with all the budget cuts going on, it would be too risky for me.

Have you ever talked to your supervisors one-on-one about some of the issues? Is there an HR office that you can vent to? I too work for a government agency, and its frustrating with supervisors because the only way issues get taken care of is if the next level supervisors will take action.

I tend to ask a lot of "why questions" of my supervisors just so they have to give a sensible answer. And when they say "because I told you to", simply respond with "I only ask because I am trying to learn how to be a supervisor so that when another opening comes up I would like to apply for it. Can you help me with that?".

Keep doing your job, and look towards the future...
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

clww

In seeing your profile, at age 21, I would guess you just started at the prison? You'll have superiors like this your entire career, any career, no matter where you work. Only way around this is to be self-employed, then your boss is going to be the customer. Some of these can be difficult to work for, too. After retiring with 26 years in the military, I cannot count how many bosses I had, but I would guess hundreds at least. I didn't get along will all of them, but I stuck it out. Eventually, I became a "big boss", and I know for a fact not everyone had a great opinion of me either. It's the nature of the beast. You don't have to agree with the boss, and you don't have to like it. You just have to do it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lumberjack48

Your a lucky man to have a good job, no matter what you do, even logging, theres always somebody telling you how they want it done.
Go out of your way to satisfy theses supervisors and it will all turn around in your favor. If you bunt heads with theses guys you'll end up with a pink slip, you'll get back balled from the state, it can happen that easy. I know it sounds terrible, but some people aren't nice. They don't care about you, this is when you have to prove how good you are, not just good but the best at what you do.
When i was a young man logging i always had to prove how good i was. And i didn't want to be good i wanted to be one of the best at what i did. The thing is this never stops, you have to keep proving every day you go to work, just how good you are at what you do. [ thats being a Gyppo ]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bigred1951

thanks guys for the answers and advice..i was setup last night which finally put me to the point of thinking about finding a new place to work and of course i turned to here for your guys help  ;D ..i come in on time every day and do my job everything thats asked of me, if they tell me to do something its yes sir and yes mam and i go do it..but its the main supervisor and the guy right under him that keeps giving me trouble..im hoping i can quietly transfer to another state job or stick this out and get money saved up till i can afford to start working for myself  8)

thecfarm

I have no idea for sure what your boss is like,but just about wherever you go it's just about the same way. The work may change,but the workers and the bosses are the same.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

My last bit of advice-don't make any hasty decisions when you're angry.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

1270d

This isn't true for all jobs.  .maybe govt?  I haven't had that many different bosses/jobs,  maybe six or seven.  My results have been one hundred percent the opposite of the previous posters.  Every guy I have worked has been great.  Always been treated fairly, and in return always offered my best effort. 
All jobs have been blue collar, non union construction, logging, or turning wrenches.  I dare say if I called any one of theses former bosses today they would have a job for me.

My point is that not all supervisors are jerks.  Sounds like you need to move on.  Why be unhappy?

giant splinter

There are all kinds of bosses, most are good some are not so easy to get along with and there are always a few that have their heads crossthreaded on their neck. the worst ones are like a diaper ........ full of dung and all over your butt, just try to make the best of your job and look into a lateral transfer within the state.
If you would prefer another department start preparing for it now and see if you can get some heads up on what it takes to qualify for a different position. Maybe stop by the road department and find out what it might take, lateral transfers can work out well for anyone already employed by the state.
Good Luck and stay focused
roll with it

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: 1270d on March 20, 2013, 06:45:30 PM
This isn't true for all jobs.  .maybe govt? 

Sadly, it is usually just the gov't jobs that this occurs most in. A lot of the workers are not there to support and help you but to pull you down so they look better. The even worse part is that supervisors tend to not want to administer corrective actions for fear that the employee will sue. The employee then gets fully paid to do half their job, is never reprimanded, and can't be fired.

Back to the OP, if you just started, stick it out until your vested in the pension plan. You can always apply for other jobs in the state and since you are young, you have time. Start building your network of contacts. Get business cards made up (250 for $35) and hand them out to every officer that brings in a prisoner. Become the officer's go-to guy at the prison. This alone will open up many many doors and opportunities. Go visit the DOT office and introduce yourself. You'd be surprised that a lot of job hires occur because of "I know a guy who helped me out one time and is interested in the job" instead of Applicant #456. Best of Luck!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!