iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Herbicide for band spraying over new seedlings?

Started by Shiningmoon, March 22, 2011, 09:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiningmoon

I have just finished planting >1200 Loblolly, shortleaf and virgina pines on our farm. some along fencerows, others to help reclaim a coal stripmine on our property. I am afraid my site preperation may have been lacking in that I mowed with a rotary cutter oly before planting. Right now everything looks great; however, as the grass and weeds are now greening/sprouting I need to spray to minimize competition for water, light and nutriants. I had planned on band spraying over the top but am now confused about what herbicide to use. The target species very and include grasses (native prairie grasses, burmuda and fescu) and broadleaf/woody plants (ie. seresa lespideza, black berry, sumac etc...)
Thanks for the help.
Moon
PS. I took before and after pix and will post they, showing progress in the future.

ely

just keep the fire at a distance, the pines will make it without any extra help.

RPF2509

Shiningmoon,   Glyphosate(Roundup tradename) is a tried and true herbicide to contol grass.  Some broadleafs can be hard to control with it.  Imazypyr (Chopper tradename) can work wonders too.  You can read the label for either on the web.  I would highly recommend that you contact your county extension agent if you have one, universities can also provide a lot of expertise.  Sales reps/ applicators are good too but they likeit if you buy from them.  Herbicide effectiveness can be highly variable depending on the time of year, type of chemical, application method and more.  I'd ask around as much as you can before applying as a mistake can cost you big in reduced growth or mortality.

WDH

Arsenal and Oust are two chemicals that are commonly used in the South for spraying over the top of pines to control grass and hardwood.  You mix these in the right proportion for control.  You can look these up on the internet for the right concentration in water.  Follow the label instructions.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Any concern when actively growing and not hardened off?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

No.  They are generally applied in the Spring when the target (to-be-controlled) plants are actively growing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!