iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

automobile insurance

Started by Tom_in_Mo., July 28, 2006, 02:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_in_Mo.

Question: accident happens, other person at fault, other person admits in the wrong to police officer, shows proof, but to come to find out insurance and just lapsed. So your insurance company wants you to use your insurance to fix your vehicle and they will try to get money from the other person. Remember this is a CLAIM against you even though it is stated to be a no-fault claim. A claim is a claim no matter how you put it. Ok, now the damage is a little over $800.00 and your deductible is $500.00 so you will receive a check for only $300.00.
This is not right for you can't afford to have your vehicle fixed knowing that in the long run your rates will go up due to a claim.  Ok, you can go after the other people and take them to court and they will say ok, I will pay, but will have to make payments, court agrees and he make payments of $10.00 a month and after a couple of payments.... adios... then you can't prosecute someone for being poor.
Has any body else been down this road? What is your insurance for? to pay for and when you have to use it , well  :-* :-*   

SwampDonkey

Some people who have $1000 or $2000 dings will just pay it and never report to their insurance. Little do they know that the garage will often notify the insurance company of the accident and your insurance goes up anyway. How does the garage know who insures you? Not that hard. Open up the glove compartment and obtain the info from your insurance card. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jrokusek

Can't you go back to court because they aren't upholding the terms of their agreement?  Explain to the court the undue financial hardship placed on you, how you need the money to pay routine bills, pay for food, etc.  The court can garnish their wages, I believe you just need to ask.

SwampDonkey

Around here the Court of Queen's bench sends the employer court documents ordering them to deduct the amount payable every 2 weeks or every month, what ever. Probably if the guy quits work or is fired the flow of money stops and you likely have to appear in court all over again. I know it would be a constant battle with some dead beats.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Some of you may remember hearing of my little encounter with a dear about a year and a half ago. Well that cost in the neighborhood of $1700 and was paid by my insurance.
So far ( bet the increased bill is in the box when I get home now that I opened my mouth  ::) ) there has not been any increase above and beyond the typical ones. ::)

Qweaver

Tom,
I had almost the same thing happen to me.  My claim was paid with the un-insured claus in my policy.  There was no deductable and it did not count against me.   My insurance company is USAA.  I have now had three accidents where I was hit from the side or the rear while stopped at a stop sign or light over the past three years  and it has not changed my status with my company. 
Maybe I just have a good company.  ::)
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

beenthere

Furby
Would that have been a "dear" or a "deer"  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

:D :D :D either way it's going to cost him :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

wiam

Furby when I made a claim for a deer,  my agent told me it was comprehensive not collision and would not increase my rates.

Will

Gary_C

Most people are not aware that no fault insurance applies to medical costs only and has nothing to do with property damage. If you are injured in an automobile accident, your medical expenses are covered by your insurance company.

My wife was hit some years back by a guy talking on his cell phone and his insurance had expired. It was exactly as you said about the court setting up payments to our insurance company, but the judge insisted that he pay our deductable that day in cash or he was going to jail. We got our deductable back.   8)

That prosecution would not have happened if my wife had not pressured our own insurance company to go after him.   ???
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Furby

Um, it was deer. That'll tell ya what I'm like after a day in Chicago. ::)

Guess what was in the box when I got home today ???

Gary, Did you know that now, the auto insurance don't even pay out for med costs unless you have it listed as first provider or something like that, and it more then doubles your premium?
They won't pay because your health insurance is supposed to pay first. Don't remember all the details.

rebocardo

In many states driving without insurance is against the law. The way you have to go is make sure the person that hit you understands if they do not pay up, you are going after them in civil court and will insist that the police press charges and fines against them instead of letting it slide.

DanG

We need to keep in mind that the various States have drastically differing laws on insurance, as well as a lot of other things.  Don't make any important decisions based on the information you find on one of these threads.  While the info the poster offers may be perfectly valid in his State, it may not be for yours.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

DanG has a good point. Each state sets their own rules for insurance coverage and what applies in one state may not apply in another. Even though most states are similar, you cannot assume your state has the same rules for coverage.

Furby, I know that is not true in Minnesota. Anytime you have an injury in this state, you have to fill out a form and state if the accident is work related (work comp) or the result of an auto accident. Even if you have health care coverage and they cover the treatment, the health care ins co will make a claim against either the work comp provider or the auto insurance company. Even if you sue another responsible person for an injury, state law requires you to subrogate the costs of your medical treatment to the insurance provider from the settlement, and they do not have to pay your attorneys fees to collect their money.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quartlow

uninsured motorist? that happens?  ::) It's a rampant thing in Ohio.
Here if your insurance lapses you just keep sailing along, as long as you don't get stopped or get in an accident your fine.

Used to be in PA (not sure if it still is) that if your insurance lapsed the insurance comapny was required to notify the state, the state then sent out a letter giving you x amount of time to prove you have insurance. If you didn't they came out and got your plates.

Happened to Wade once, Progressive cancelled his insurance after insuring the same vehichle for five years. His one ton was origionaly sold as a cab and chassis.
They decided it was a commercial vehichle and cancelled him, the same week he left for his 30 day reserve duty. He came home to find out he had no insurance and the State police had confiscated his plates. 

After calling them, they told him to contact their commercial department. He figured they would up his rates, He was paying like $450 every six months, his commercial policy? $510. A YEAR. they basicly shafted themselves out of money
;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

SwampDonkey

:-X My house insurance dropped $240, just got my statement. I ain't saying nuttin.  :-X

thecfarm

Quartlow,probaly put him in a category married,and over 30.I needed one million dollars of auto insurance to wrap hot water heaters back in the 80's.I was 24 and unmarried.I was paying alot for insurance.My insurance cost went down and I had 4 times the coverage I had,just because they had to put me in a category of a traveling salemans,which most are over 30 and married.I was on the rode a lot more.In Maine the insurance companies will notfiy the state too.My wife was getting more coverage or changing something and she got a letter from the state.Was a mix up with the broker.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

quinton, i would not stop at that sign anymore, 3 times sheesh. ;D

Raphael

I've always lived in states where insurance is required.
  In NY state commercial insurance was cheaper until they made all pickups commercial vehicles (some time in the 80's).  At age 30+ (sometime in the 90's) with a clean license, safe driving discounts, and a discount for having my business insurance through the same outfit I paid well over $1200/yr. for a my S10 (4cyl. 1/2ton P\U)...  A 1ton van owned by a 24yr old friend with one accident and two speeding tickets was a $990/yr passenger car.  Not sure if this has changed much now that they are letting lighter pickups register as cars.
  NY is also a "no fault state" which means if someone has an accident everyones rates got up, the closer to where you live the accident occurs the more you get a share of the increase.  The problem is insuring the cars for liability instead of the drivers.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!