iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to make a well?

Started by Buzz-sawyer, November 30, 2004, 10:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Ok, I'm sorry but I think I'm starting to get lost here. ::)

You have a 60' hill, with a seasonal creek coming out near the bottom. The creek is lined with coal? The coal isn't the flat rocks you were talking about, is it? At what level is the coal strata at and how much coal are you talking about?

Don't know about the water and coal going together, but there could be pockets of water there no problem. They may or may not be big enough to bother with though. Now ya got me thinking I need to do some reading, as I just ran out of film in my brain, and can't really remember the geology associated with coal. ::)

Buzz-sawyer

Just smallish pockets here and there of coal. The stream is part of the local drainage, the terrain is hilly with a few bottoms along the creeks.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

My 2 cents,
It sounds like you would have to drill pass that 60' mark if you put a well in on top of the hill. You could just as well save that cost/time and put one in at the bottom, but would have to handle the pipe/hose all the way back to the house.
Pretty much what you already know. ::)
If I was having some one put the well in, I'd probly just spend the extra $$$ and have it by the house, assuming they are still likely to hit water. Don't think those "pockets" of coal will help locate water much, but don't really know.
I'd call a few well drillers and see what they say about the area. It can't hurt.

Norm

Buzz I was thinking of using a deep rock rig to drill a hole at our place a year or so ago. I did alot of research and also asked about them on here. After speaking with the company and others I decided to hire a driller instead. He went down 77' and hit limestone, he said that was the prefered layer to get water from because it's structure held water. I felt pretty lucky as the neighbors well went to 300' but they used a different drilling crew. Since they charge by the foot if you hire it out make sure to get some references, the guy we used was highly recommended.

ibbob

For sure you need some local expertise.  From what you describe and what I know of your area ground water is hard to come by. Rocks and clay don't hold water.  You need  fine sands and gravels.  Rock wells do work, but you are usually looking at large diameter, very deep holes to produce enough capacity.  

Trying to chlorinate your own water for drinking is flirting with disaster.  Add too much and it will blow right thru wahtever filter you have.  Too little and you'll  be lucky to end up in the john and not the hospital.  

When you add chlorine to surface water it combines with the organic matter present to form trihalomethanes.  These nasty compounds  _will_  cause health problems with long term exposure.
Bob

Buzz-sawyer

ibob
Our water is pumped out of the Missisipi river in this area.

known to be packed full of every nasty metal (heavy) and water born disease ,(that lives at this latititude) and LOTS of fecal matter from people usung it as thier sewer up stream .

why is that safe to drink?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

Norm
We have limestone out the ears in this area.........so that might be good.... ???
Whatever I do, I will end up doing my self.
Otherwise its the rain water in the cistern or the 250 gallon poly tank haulin misssisipi river scum .......uh water. :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ibbob

Buzz,

Surface water treatment requires at least a 7 step process most are up to 9 or more now.  I won't go into the details here, but there is continous monitoring and adjustment before and after each step.  These plants must have operators on site any time they a making water, most are 24/7/365.  As conditions in the river change the whole process must be changed.  Can happen as fast as every 15 minutes.  Even the smallest system like this will spend tens of thousands of dollars each year just in the laboratory to comply with regulations.

It doesn't matter where you are in the USA, if your water comes from a utility it will be safe to drink. You may not like the way it looks or smell sometimes, but it will be safe.  If there is even the slightest chance of contamination you will hear/see it immediately in every local media available.
Bob

Buzz-sawyer

Thanks for all input..
Now ...YOU CAN FIND ANYTHING ON THE NET!!!
I got to diggin around on geological survey and found specific arial map and charts with water aquiferes....AND all the registered wells in the state....thier depth who owns em etc!!!

Most all water wells in my area have water from 17 to 30 feet!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I could dig with a hoe 16 feet then use auger or hand dig the rest...maybe drive a point seems like good news!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

I seent hat sight earlier too Buzz, didn't know if it would help you out or not, so I didn't open up the web site from the google search.

Happy dig'n ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jgoodhart

Before I hand dug a well I would see if there was a old stomper rig for hire in the area and put him to work. Rotary drills blow through and destroy small under ground streams that are closer to the surface, probley because it don't pay enough money to drill 60 to 80 feet and tear down and go home.

Buzz-sawyer

I think this is Florida deadheaders way.......
[[/img]

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

I believe in Wisconsin that the first 50+ feet of any well must be in casing, just so the surface water cannot get down into the 'well' water and contaminate it (my understanding anyway). Getting more and more fussy about wells, and any well abandoned for more than two years is supposed to be filled with 'concrete' to seal off the underlying water layers from surface drainage.

I recall, as a boy, a neighbor in Iowa 'drilling' his own well using an auger-type post-hole digger. He would add pipe as he got deeper, to the point, I recall, he had two lengths of 20' pipe on the auger. When the auger 'bucket' was full of dirt he would bring it to the surface, unscrewing the added sections of pipe until he could empty the auger-full of dirt. Then back down he went. He was poor and needed a well, and digging it by hand was all he could do, I imagine. Do remember he eventually had a well, but don't recall how deep it was.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

Well beenthere your old neighbor and me have something in common :) :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Haytrader

Buzz.......you both needed a well?

;)
Haytrader

Furby

Well, the only thing for me to add to this is:
Buzz, remember that 17'-30' may have to be dug from the bottom of the hill. Give the hoe a try up by the house, but be prepared to go to the bottom of that hill.

Buzz-sawyer

Haytrader
No were both poor :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Rod

The way I build my well here in West Virginia was I dug a hole about 30 feet from the creek and about 10' deep till i hit sold rock,and 8' in dim.Then I layed it up with rock and put a pump in it and built a roof to cover the top.

It aways has about 2' of water in it.

The hills here are about 800' to the top.Most drilled wells don't have good water.To much iron and slate.The water that comes out of the drilled wells looks like blood and smells like rotten eggs... :o :o :o :)

SwampDonkey

Sounds like alot of organic matter and sulfur in the water. Where my folks live on a big hillside, which was a 200 acre field in days gone buy, all the wells have sulfure. The folks filter the drinking water through the refridgerator. The place is terrible for rocks and spring holes. Nothing beats this good old Royalton water up on the poor farm ;) , no smell, no crud, no poisen, no critters. I'm not thinking of starting a bottling business that was tried by 2 outfits, which were too far from markets and went behind $50,000/month even with $1 Million in monthly sales. Shipping is a killer these days. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!