iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Trees

Started by etat, December 05, 2004, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

I bought my first Christmas Tree this year.  Earlier I was talking about how before we'd always just went out and cut a Ceder Tree off the side of a fence line or the side of the road.  Sometimes we'd use a fake tree but we had a ceremony and burned it when we finally moved into the house.  

The tree I chose was a Frazier Fir that'd been imported in from one of them Christmas Tree Farms.  It was pouring down rain when we picked it out and one thing I noticed when I got er home was it didn't have any smell to it.  Next year when I buy one I'm gonna get a Balsam FIR, Thanks Swamp, I'll put that on my list for next year.  I didn't know much about Firs as they're not common around here.  They had three different types of trees but as it was a pouring down rain I wasn't much paying attention to smell, which to me is essential for a making a house smell like Christmas.

Per Swamp Donkeys advice next time I'm gonna get a Balsam Fir cause I personally think the smell from a Christmas Tree makes a house smell like Christmas.  (I did solve the problem by adding a few Cedar twigs to give it some flavor.  

Around here bought Christmas Trees were selling for from 15 dollars to 40 dollars for the bigger ones. I personally didn't think that was toooo bad since somebody had to grow em and keep em trimmed and other things acording to the Boss.  I didn't even know they did some of the things he said but it sounded pretty cool.

We picked out, and it was pouring down rain at the time mind you, that 6 foot Frazier Fir and the wife and kids have been a decorating on it.  Ya know what.........

IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS! :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

VA-Sawyer

UNCLEBUCK

nice job decorating , my tree doesnt have the sappy christmassy piney smell either !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Danny_S

Yep, balsam fir is a pretty smellin tree allright,... even after you have wrapped a few thousand of em. I worked with a guy for a season wrapping up trees and loading them onto trucks. Hard work but kinda fun really. My dad years ago used to truck trees far down into the states and one night he got caught under an overpass. With not many options he got out and started throwing a few off so he could fit under... a few homelss-like or less fortunate people soon came to help, and dad said "take em home with ya!!" well sir he said what a happy bunch of fellas runnin off with christmas trees.... probably made their christmas.....
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Captain

We got our Fraser Fir today too, fresh cut on a tree farm in Williamstown Vermont (yep, we were at home visiting).  Personally, the ONLY way I can tell a Fraser from a Balsam is to turn the needles over and look at the bottom, Balsams have an obvious stripe on the bottom, Frasers have more than 1, but they are not as obvious.  I can not tell the difference in smell, but I think Balsams are a bit more POWERFUL in scent.  Anyways, love them both, I am attempting to grow Frasers here, Balsams DonT do as well here in the tropical section of New England.

http://www.realchristmastrees.org/treetype/fraser.html

Nice tree, CK

Captain

SwampDonkey

yips CK

I don't have a tree here, I just have a couple, three, trinkets over the archways and this year I hung that Christmas wreath outside after my hard work putting the 'fir tipping for wreaths' thread together. It's in good chear for all the forestry forum folks who had a special interest in the process and for all others to learn from. Hope everyone gets enjoyment out of that thread and makes some wreaths. ;)

I'm still looking for the Wreath Jeff's mak'in, hope we don't have to wait to long big guy. ;)

What my family usually does is go to uncle's for Christmas and stay over night Christmas eave. He puts on the 'doll' , so to speak with all the decorations, "SPODE" and silver dining ware on great grandmother's dining room set. He's got an old Enterprise stove he still cooks on in winter months which enhances the Christmas mood. Phew, like a sauna in there at times, with the furnace also running. :D :D

Uncle sells some Christmas trees for a neighbor of his each year. He usually sells around 200 at the house and all he has to do is unwrap them or saw off some of the stem if the customer wishes. He also delivers locally if folks can't get it home, for a small fee. $17 in the yard or $20 delivered.

My cousin is a Christmas tree grower who is always busy in his trees, 7 days a week and his trees show his care and efforts he puts into each and every one. I know you folks to the south are getting  a good product when they come from his farm. :)

merry Christmas
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Look at what the big guy gone and done :) :)

Click here

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Our Tree, I am sorry to say, is an artificial. A necessary evil due to allergies in our household. Its a good fake though. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Yup its a dandy, nothing wrong with that. Do I see a doggy under the tree in the glimer of the lights?

etat

We'd use one too if we had problems with allergies, heck we did off and on for years anyway.  I will say fakes  have much improved over the years.  Lots of em can't hardly tell the difference, just like them fake plants in the doctors offices.    I remember when the only fakes you could buy were them silver aluminum looking trees that'd burn your house down or electrocute you if you put lights on em and looked (to me anyways) awful.  In them days the  only lights you'd buy was them that got real hot and were really dangerous. .
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

WoodSmith

Heard the other day that Oregon is the #1 grower of christmas trees.
Yes we are very proud of that.

Ianab

Best Christmas tree I have had was a Deodar Cedar. I bought a 4ft plant from the nursery, complete with pot. I spent a month inside with lights and tinsel.. and a bit of water. Got transplanted out to the garden in Jan and is still there. That was 4 houses ago, but I can still drive past and see the tree. Probably pushing 30ft tall now, but I planted in a spot out back where it had space to grow.
In my new house I find a tree just the same down the back
beside the stream, maybe the previous owners Christmas tree? This on is only 15ft, but growing strong.

I dont think we will do a Christmas tree this year, we will be away most of the time and no youngsters about. But my preference is to buy a specimen tree from a nursey.... decorate it, look after it and plant it out after Christmas.
Neat to go out on the lawn and look at the trees from different Christmas's

To completely change direction...
An alternative Christmas tree is the NZ one... Pohutukawa
http://www.virtualoceania.net/newzealand/photos/flora/pohutukawa/
The trees are common street trees in our area and their flowers are allways a sign of Christmas. There is a big tree in downtown New Plymouth thats over 100 years old, about 10ft dbh and 100ft tall. Impressive in flower. I will do pics once it's out in flower.  

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

efitzgerald

I cant have a real tree. The smell makes my boys asthma act up.
tougher than a $2.00 steak

Furby

Went out on Sat. to get my parent's tree. I'm always (almost) called to cut and haul the trees for family.
We used to get blue spruce for $10, u-cut any size all the way to 35'. Price went up to $15, and after a few years we found a different place because they were getting really picked over.
Been getting scotch pines the last few years, $5 u-cut any size on the lot. Not the best trees, but for the price they do just fine.
A couple of years back my mom and some of my siblings took my trailer with out telling me and went to get a tree. After much searching they found the one they wanted and started cutting with the bow saw provided by the lot owner. Well the saw was pretty well shot, so they went to get another one, same thing wouldn't cut. My mom called my dad and asked him to find a saw and come help. My dad ended up getting a saw from a neighbor because he couldn't find one at home. After two hours of cutting, they loaded up the tree. ;) Like I said, they never told me they were taking the trailer, and it was missing the rear rails. They figured the tree would be ok, and as it was after dark and getting late they just tossed it in the trailer and drove off. They made it about half way home before my mom looked in the mirror to see the tree sliding off the trailer and rolling down the road. :D Well that is one way to get rid of all those dead needles. ;)

Anyways, we went out to get this years tree last Sat., I was smart enough to give them an hour to pick one out before I headed over. ;) Fired up the chainsaw, rolled the tree around a couple of times to knock the needles out, and we were on our way.

Now if I get this addition done in time, I may be going back out for MY first real christmas tree.

breederman

When my wife and I were first married we always made a production out of going out and cutting our own christmas tree,usually involving a couple of friends and some toddies. The year the twins were born Terry wasn't up to it,they were born Dec 15th.So I bought a big old scotch pine from a road side stand.It was our first year in our new house and it has a cathedral ceiling in the living room and I figured it would be a shame to waste all that space,that tree must have been 10 feet tall! I put it in the pick up and head for home,about a mile down the road I look in the mirror just in time to see that tree land on the yellow line.
   Life lesson #2010---Always put your Christmas tree in the truck butt end first!
Together we got this !

Brian_Bailey

This year our tree is a departure from trees in the past.

My wife collects villages and she had run out of room to display them.

So the traditional tree was replaced with a display shelf disguised as a Christmas tree.  

Next year I have to make a bigger bottom shelf as she ran out of room on this one.

Each tier has a different theme.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

UNCLEBUCK

thanks for that link Captain .Fun to look through it
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!