iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surfacing 6 x 6 x 20'

Started by JRC, February 22, 2010, 04:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRC

I had a call from a guy wanting approximatly 1000 reclaimed oak 8 x 8 x 20' surfaced to 6 x 6 x 20. he said he has a 2 sided planer but was hoping to find someone with a 4 sided to do these. I could resaw them on my woodmizer and then he could plane them, but he was concerned with keeping them square. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone know a of a four sided planer, in the Indiana, Ohio or Kentucky area that would do these?

Mr Mom

Just think of all the nails.
I cant help you but wish you luck.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

red oaks lumber

you can resaw them sqaure, just make sure the just cut side is pushed up to your log stop each cut , i could 4 side them but sizing them down first makes more sense, use a metal detector first and remove all hardware
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ronwood

How square are they to start with? If done right you can get the square and straight.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

sgschwend

It is more than the issue with square, there is also the problem with twist, bow, stress and taper. 

I would cut them hourly and maker sure he is there to make decisions if issues arise; and $25/blade for hitting metal.

I had a guy bring 200 softwood beams by my mill, size was 8X8X12'.  He had been given a 2-3 day cutting estimate.  I asked him to bring two helpers and we were busy but it only took 4 hours to cut them.  It took another hour for them to reload there trailer, I guess they never heard of stacking in lifts.

A 1000 would be fun, how heavy would they be?

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

laffs

we had a big ole stetson ross planer when i first started at the mill when we bought it thats all it had was a 6x6 hole through it everything else was all pitch. maybe someones got a yates or yates american but theyed have to have the side heads for 6"
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!