iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Names for Red Heart (Sweet Gum)

Started by Tom, June 18, 2003, 06:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

A wood worker on another forum emailed me with the following question and I haven't an answer.  Would one of you knowledgeable fellows give me a hand?
---------------------------
I recall that in time past, very good "heart" Red Gum was sometimes marketed as "Cyrellian Walnut" or some such similar name as that. I am sure of the "walnut" part - just not the "Cyrellian". I do know that some folks called it "Satin Walnut" and also "Pseudo Mahogany" - but those aren't the names I am looking for.

Can anyone possibly help me here?

dail_h

Tom,
   Satin walnut and sap gum are the only things I've heard it called
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

DouginUtah

Liquidambar styraciflua:
Common Names
=================
American red gum
Balsamo blanco
Bilsted
Diquidambo
Liquidambar
Liquidambo
Sap gum
Starleaf gum
Sweetgum
Satin walnut <==
Hazel pine

I couldn't find anything like "Cyrellian"  :(

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

Thanks fellows, I found it.  It is CIRCASSIAN WALNUT!  

I found it on an extensive Google search.  One of those kind that makes one wonder what he is doing so deep in the pages because most everything is repeating.

Made a man happy, it seems.   He worked in a sawmill  when he was younger and told me about his Dad, who was a sawfiler.  Perhaps  he will come visit with us. :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Can anyone describe the chemical/bacterial/fungal(?) processes which create
the beautiful patterns and colors found in the heartwood of Sweetgum?

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!