iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Davco refurbished treefarmer

Started by Duramax3500, August 05, 2017, 11:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duramax3500

So earlier I've put a post on about spending 50 grand on a skidder ,Friday I call Davco in Maine about getting parts for my old tree farmer, and I talk to a guy and he says that they totally refurbish machines, I would love to have my a C7D completely redone, and be way cheaper and it's an awesome machine it just needs a lot of work, it's just getting it from Wisconsin to Maine , everybody's been very helpful on my posts and I appreciate that,just wondering if anyone has done this before and any input would b great

Autocar

I run a 1983 C7T Treefarmer grapple machine. From my understanding it was Franklin skidders they rebuilt. In 83 I believe is when Franklin brought them out and soon after words the went into bankrupsy. I may have it all wrong but I don't think they did anything with treefarmers as far as rebuilding them.
Bill

Grizzly

Duramax - is your question about the rebuilding? or the trucking?
I can't help you with a rebuilding question but the trucking is simple although it will cost. ATS (Anderson Transport Services) out of MN does that everyday of the week. Probably not what you were wondering but that is at least something I have some knowledge in.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Duramax3500

Well the trucking info is helpful if I decide to go for the refurbish,thank you, I'm close to where they build hood equipment and the guy at Davco said sometimes they have a haul for a loader I might b able to put the skidder on to save on shipping, auto car, I'm pretty sure he told me they redo tree farmers also,he told me exactly what you said about the going out of business, and said for around 30000 they could rebuild the motor, new center, all new pumps and hoses,tires,bearings,etc,and paint, just like off the showroom,which is a great option versus all the new electronics in today's machines ,plus to work on tree farmers you know that you can just go to hardware and auto stores to get a lot of standard parts,I talked to him for almost a half hour and learned a lot plus found out my skidder is actually a 85, very helpful and good customer service which we all know is hard to come buy,thanks

Riwaka

It is usually the parts not at the automotive parts store that fail. Two or more old machines is fairly common method/ approach - one to use and one to wrench on.
The used cat 518c grapple is a bit more than the TF refurbish.
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/18405437/1994-cat-518c (Hopefully a quieter more powerful engine, more parts off the shelf? and more examples in the wrecker yards?)
Refurbishing the TF - can that not be done instate with parts sent to you or using a Barko/ Timberpro/ Timbco center section fabbed in?

Duramax3500

Thanks riwaka. For your input, it has an esco grapple on it so getting parts for that is rather simple,I would be happy to give a shop close by a shot but can't find anyone willing to work on a Treefarmer,some places have never even heard of the brand,they must live under a rock,I'm going to the Great Lakes expo in Michigan in a month and hope to get some info. At the show, I only paid 8 grand for the machine so putting 20 to 30 into it would still put it at a value comparable to the machine you listed and everything would b new or redone, it runs great, leaks everywhere, which gets pricey, I only log during fall and winter as I have a demolition, rolloff business I do the other part of the year, so I wouldn't b putting a lot of hours on it, I'm gonna start redoing some of the cylinders to stop some of the leaking, but if someone knows of a shop within wis.min.or mich, that does that kind of work let me know,thanks

loggah

Davco has rebuilt a lot of tree farmers, some with Detroits, and Deutz, mostly when they rebuild one from scratch they put cummins in them. I used to get all my Tree Farmer and Franklin parts from Davco,along with skidder chains. Mario is a very standup guy never had any issues with him or his companies. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lopet

If I were  you I would be looking for a one man show with not too much overhead. 20 K doesn't get much done these  days, especially  in a fancy new shop and a bunch of employees. Don't know how things are down your way, but in my neighbor hood even the amish charge $ 64 per hour.
There is only a few older guys left who work for less.  :o
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

Davco is not much to look at.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mf40diesel

True Davco is not too much to look at. Haha. I was just there a few months ago, buying a new mainline for my TJ, and some chains and such. They were in the midst of a rebuild/refurb on a C6 or C7, I can't remember which. Full on tear down. It was looking beautiful

There was a couple really sharp looking c5's there too. I would dare say they have about any part you could imagine on the shelf there too.

I'd say between them, and Harolds you could rebuild any vintage TJ or TF.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

snowstorm

They also have a garage in jackman

Logger RK

What motor do you have in your C7D? A 453T?  I have a C7D with a 435N. Also a Esco 127 inch Bunching Grapple. I'm wondering what needs rebuilding ? Center pins,cradle pins? Motor,transmisson? I think  trucking it that far would be fairly expensive. A friend of mine bought a Timbco from Georgia & I believe it cost him 4 or 5k to get hauled to Hermantown Minn. you can buy a good amount of parts for that. Or pay a local machine shop to do the pin work if needed. Just a thought. I did do my cradle pins & centers a few years ago. Usually Spring Breaks a good time for that.

chevytaHOE5674

Plenty of shops around (UP of Mi, and Northern Wi) that I would check with before I shipped it to Maine. Couple of places in Rhinelander, Lakeshore or Delich in Wakefield Mi, Woodland equip Iron River Mi, Pats Equip Greenland Mi. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head and they probably know of others who might be interested.

mike_belben

Yeah, i think youre lookin at min $2/mile each way plus a whole lotta tolls if they run through mass and up 95.  You cant run a big truck up to bangor and back without leaving them a hundred dollar tip for the coffee!
Plus no real ability to ever see the folks face to face should an issue arise.  Is it a skidder to make your money or is it a collector car to spend it for you?  :)
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

If someone told me for an extra 10% on the cost of a $40k overhaul i could get it done riyght the first time by guys who know what they're doing, and remanufacture to spec...

Mad not to IMHO.  But downtime costs me more than just time.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Duramax3500

Well I'm happy to report I found a shop within 200 miles of me that specialize in tree farmers and Barko equipment, they will get in the spring,I will run it this winter ,I have another business I do during the summer, so everything will be a set price or close for each item worked on and yes it is kinda a collector to me,I'll paint it up and use it on my acreage and as a backup,they will go thru everything and it's only a 4 hour drive so I can check in now and then to see progress,it's a father son shop,funny, they don't even have a web site,but are highly reputable,I've done my homework,thanks for all the input!

jdatwood

Thank You Sponsors!