iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Stain Question

Started by Planman1954, February 08, 2017, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Hi all. As some of you may know, I've been building a reproduction Hammond organ cabinet. I would like to match the color of my original Hammond cabinet, if possible. Here's a picture of the original which is made of solid core walnut plywood:

I've built the new cabinet out of cypress. Here's a picture of it:

Today, I went through a number of stain colors that I had left over from a number of other projects and put them on a piece of scrap cypress. I found that it came down to minwax Early American, and a brand from Walmart called American Walnut. The problem is, I do not like the noticible contrast in grains. It ranged from a nice dark color to ripples of almost transparent with the adjacent grain. Here's a picture of what I mean:

So, the question is, does anyone have knowledge of a stain that might be more opaque in order to soften the contrast, providing a more even look like the original organ? Thanks for your response.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't help with the stain but your craftsmanship is out of this world!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Briankinley2004

Tried to post a pic and reply but didn't work. I think your issue is grain not stain. The lighter more porus wood takes more stain becoming darker. The denser wood doesn't take the stain and becomes lighter. I may be wrong but anyway we did pine in min wax provincial and it did same thing.

Briankinley2004

Briankinley2004

This is a cypress ceiling with min wax we are doing now. Same thing with grain. Your in Marion. If you happen to go to Monroe take some of your wood to Vic at Superior Paint on Pine. He is good at matching stuff.

Planman1954

btulloh

I would use aniline dye to even out the color.  Dyes do a much better job for something like that than stain.  Seal with a 1 to 1 1/2 lb coat of shellac before applying the final finish.
HM126

PC-Urban-Sawyer

You might want to try some blotch control to minimize the problem. Search for Charles Neil's Pre-Color Conditioner. Charles is a real finishing expert and you might want to drop him an email asking for advice.

Good Luck!

Herb

Planman1954

Well guys, I went to see Vic at Superior paint. He was extremely helpful, and matched the color for me perfectly with a gel stain. I believe it will be a perfect match to the original. He said just apply it to the bare wood with a rag, let it dry, and then we are good to go with a spray lacquer finish, maybe starting with a coat of shellac. I'm happy. :)

Briankinley2004

Vic knows his stuff. He used to own the paint store behind the atrium on Louisville. He got tired of the business end and went to work for Superior. It is owned by Tom Sanders, the building mart owner

OffGrid973

Isn't there also a conditioner that you can put on before the stain that fills pores and allows for an even coat without blotches?  Maybe I am missing a piece of the puzzle but thought I read that in one issue of wood magazine.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/finishing/avoid-or-fix-blotchy-stain
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Kbeitz

Glue does a fine job at filling the pores ... Not something I
look forward to...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!