iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Toy, I Mean Tool For Around the Mill

Started by DeepWoods, June 13, 2019, 05:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepWoods

Got myself a new helper for around the mill. A brand new Kubota B2650HSDC.   This is my first ever tractor, so it's a little different than my small skidsteer that I previously used to load logs on to my mill.  I kept the forks that were on the skidsteer, and mounted them to a blank quick attach plate.  I plan on getting a grapple for the front loader, which I hope will do a better job than a set of forks, but that will be in a year or two.  So far I am pleased with what it has done for me.  Much smoother ride than the skidsteer, as it had to short of a wheel base.  It can also lift more than the skid steer as well, around 1100 pounds at the loader arm pins.  Nice to have the cab to keep the bugs away as well.  Although loading logs on the mill doesn't take very long.  I currently have the forks, a 60" bucket for the front, the backhoe, and a 60" box blade for the back.  I will be getting a front mount snow blower in January next year to handle snow removal and as I previously mentioned, a grapple for the front.  I have my Wife to thank for this, as earlier this year she mentioned it would be nice if I could blow snow in the warm cab from a tractor.  Anyway, here's a picture of her decked out with a set of forks.

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Bruno of NH

You will like that
My first tractor was a B7800 
With backhoe ,loader mount plow,pto sander,rear blade and wood chipper.
Wish I didn't sell it.
Some times a small tractor is handy for certain things. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Raider Bill

I've got a Kubota L4200 with a 3pt back hoe. Watch that thing it can bite you. Had the top connection come apart and the unit came back on me.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bruno of NH

Bill
Was it a frame mount backhoe?
I always got the frame mount
I hear the 3pt ones break and can pinch your head in the rops.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

alan gage

You're going to like that.

Be careful though. My dad started out with a Kubota that size. Then he got an M5040 and now he's got an M7040. It seems to be a tough addiction.

He still has his L series though. It works well for tilling gardens and pulling a mower.

As for the grapple I'd be worried it wouldn't leave much extra weight capacity for logs.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 14, 2019, 08:06:12 AM
Bill
Was it a frame mount backhoe?
I always got the frame mount
I hear the 3pt ones break and can pinch your head in the rops.
Bruno
Mines a 3 pt hitch. The upper bar let loose and the control unit came back and trapped me in the seat with the controls pressing against my chest under power. Could hardly breath. Cracked 2 ribs and squeezed the back of my leg through the seat so hard the skin burst like a sausage. It was a tense few minutes. I was able to get my knife out and cut the lines releasing the pressure enough that I could crawl out from under the controls. 
Of course I was alone deep in the woods. 
Thought that was the end. I just happened to be wearing bibs that day so my knife was in the top pocket. Had it been on my belt of hip pocket I wouldn't have been able to get to it.

Only thing that saved me having a crushed chest and pelvis was a flimsy seat arm rest somehow got jammed against the control box enough to give me time so I could cut the hydraulics. .
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

snobdds

Quote from: alan gage on June 14, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
You're going to like that.

Be careful though. My dad started out with a Kubota that size. Then he got an M5040 and now he's got an M7040. It seems to be a tough addiction.

He still has his L series though. It works well for tilling gardens and pulling a mower.

As for the grapple I'd be worried it wouldn't leave much extra weight capacity for logs.

Alan
Everything Attachments has a grapple that is made for sub compact tractors and it's fairly light weight.  Also there is a single arm grapple to use with forks called the Thumb.  It still needs plumbing on the front end to add and extra remote, but it works pretty good with logs.  If I need precision to lay a log, just put a thumb on the back hoe.  I have a mechanical one, but I load my trailer using my backhoe.  

Bruno of NH

Bill
The 3pt backhoes are dangerous. 
I have heard that happen to many folks

DeepWoods

The backhoe is attached on a subframe that runs along the way forward to the loader arm supports, so I'm not worried about it at all.  As far as the grapple weighing to much, the one mentioned that is available from everything attachments weighs 209 pounds which is at least a hundred pounds lighter than my fork attachment.  The tractor is 26 hp and 19.5 at the rear pto.  The cab has both heat and air conditioning to keep me comfortable all the time.  I could have got the same tractor with 33 hp, but Kubota has had some regen problems on that engine, and this one doesn't need to regen with only 26 hp.  As far as upgrading, I'm pretty sure this will be my only tractor puchase, as my 401k couldn't support any additional expense.   
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

KenMac

I have a Kubota B26 TLB and am very satisfied with its' capabilities. It does have an extra hydraulic pump for the backhoe, I think. The engine is really fuel efficient and reliable. You'll like it!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!