iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally did it...I bought a mill

Started by dirtymartini, June 17, 2018, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

After a couple of years of looking , researching and procrastinating I finally broke down and bought a mill. Those of you who might have read my other threads know I was looking hard at Woodland Mills and EZ Boardwalk Jr. I had myself convinced to order the EZ Boardwalk Jr and then this mill popped on Craigslist.
 It's a December 2016 build Wood-Mizer LT28 with the manual log.deck package. I drove to Virginia yesterday to pick it up and bring it back to PA. I had a chance to try it out today on a Hemlock log. I'm hooked!
  Now I have many questions about blades...the choices are much and I know so little lol  I have three new blades the PO gave me and about 10 old blades he had sitting out and are a little rusty. I was think about trying Wood-Mizer's re-sharp service.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations on the new mill purchase. 

I use the WM re-sharp program for all my blades and have been well pleased with the quality and response times. I use their auto-replace/auto-refill to get replacements automatically for blades that can't be resharpened. Get them at a discount rate so always have the same number of blades in rotation.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dirtymartini

That's what I liked about the service, I would always have blades in rotation. Is there any way to identify what type of blades I have? Is there anything stamped on them?

thecfarm

You will like it. Now order a Logrite cantdog or peavey.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dirtymartini

Quote from: thecfarm on June 17, 2018, 09:24:29 PM
You will like it. Now order a Logrite cantdog or peavey.
The PO gave me a 48" Log-Rite cant hook  8)

Southside

Their are three ways to identify your bands, the first one is to look at each one and record the serial number off of them, call Indy and they can tell you what you have in your hand.  The other way is to purchase one of WM's blade blade ID tools, basically it is 5 sided tool that has the inverse of blade profiles cut into it, you match up your teeth to the side that fits and look at which profile you have.  The easiest method however is to call the PO and ask him what he ran.   

Marty Parsons dealership will be the closest Re-Sharp location for you, those guys do a great job and you will be very happy with the bands you get back. If you have not touched base with Marty yet, make a point to do so, he is a great resource and awesome dealer.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

mad murdock

8) Hallelujah! Miracles do happen!  Send in a report to Guinness, has to be near a record for waffle time ;D
Congrats on the mill! Now let the good times roll and the dust fly!! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

schakey

smiley_applauseWill be following your progress 
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Lawg Dawg

Great purchase! You want regret it! I use Woodmizer Resharp in Albemarle, NC. Just send them in with a note in the box that says....what kind of blades are these?  
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

dirtymartini

Quote from: mad murdock on June 18, 2018, 12:45:28 AM
8) Hallelujah! Miracles do happen!  Send in a report to Guinness, has to be near a record for waffle time ;D
Congrats on the mill! Now let the good times roll and the dust fly!! 8)
lol I didn't want to rush into anything lol Now someone on here was supposed to write a speech when I finally bought a mill...

Magicman

Congratulations on getting the sawmill !!!    :)

Send me a PM with your Name and Mailing Address and I will send you a box (10) of used but already resharpened 10° blades.  

The only cost to you will be $15 shipping and a donation to the Forestry Forum with the amount being determined by you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

Congrats on the mill . Very good find on the LT35 . Wood-Mizer has a blade jig that fits to the teeth and will tell you what deg, you have . Its a roundish thing made of sheet metal . In time you will get good at visual I.D. You got a really good mill ! Happy sawing !
I bleed orange  .

Lko67

barbender

Nice score! You're in it now👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

RichTired

Congratulations on your purchase of a Wood-Mizer. Let the games begin!
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

teakwood

You will love the band saw mill, they are so fast!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

SawyerTed

Congratulations!   Great find!  Many happy years of sawing to you!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 18, 2018, 08:03:40 AM
Congratulations on getting the sawmill !!!    :)

Send me a PM with your Name and Mailing Address and I will send you a box (10) of used but already resharpened 10° blades.  

I got a new mill too.  ;D
Goat
47910 No Blade Way
Woodmizer, S.C. 29732
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Congratulations on your new "to you" mill purchase!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

78NHTFY

Congrats!  Bet you feel like a winner....(as written in my avatar, if you have time....).  Happy sawing.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on June 18, 2018, 08:03:40 AMSend me a PM with your Name and Mailing Address and I will send you a box (10) of used but already resharpened 10° blades.
The blades are boxed and ready for the UPS man Monday.  I have been letting attrition gradually reduce/eliminate my supply of 10° blades and I thought that surely I had 10 left but there were only 8.  Anyway, now I only have two different blade profiles to keep in inventory; 4° and T7°.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!