iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally bought a mill

Started by Planman1954, November 12, 2009, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

You have a good plan, Planman  ;D.  You will pay for that mill easy with all the lumber you will cut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

You're looking good Planman.  Congratulations !!!

(I can't tell in the picture, but always wear wrap around safety glasses.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Planman1954

Update:  Well, I found a source for some pine  logs..only trouble is they are all 8' or less. That's ok though...not complaining. I needed a few more 2x6 rafters for the barn roof. I guess I'll splice together some to finish. The next thing is to try to get a jig made to make shingles out of the pine. My first attempt yesterday went WAY too slowly on the shingle making. I've got some bright ideas to overcome the speed and consistancy of the process. I'll need probably 5-6 thousand of those  buggars...so speed and multiples are the key. I'm making them 24" long ... and the rejects will be used on my 2 side roofs since they'll only be 21 " long. I plan on using 1"x3" stripping under the shingles, so I cut some of those today too.
Unloading the logs took some brain power on my part. I don't have ANY equipment to maneuver logs, so after getting home with the logs loaded onto my fathers old 10' 2 axle trailer by the fellow's front end loader, the 2 top logs rolled off over the side without tearing anything up...that was good. The remaining 4 on the bed of the trailer wer another thing. I had a cheap walmart winch that was junk, so i unwound with great effort..it was all tangled up... enough of the wire rope to wrap around a tree in the yard. I then took a hook and hooked the orther end to the front of the log and took off in my old Chevy van and... hey... they came off... one by one. Then I unhooked the empty trailer and hooked the cable to my hitch and drug the logs over by the mill. I was so proud of myself. At least now I have a system.
I'm looking forward tomorrow or Monday to nailing on the final rafters for the barn. Anyway, thanks for reading. It's good to vent.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

fishpharmer

Necessity is the Mother of invention............

Well done with the unloading of the logs.  I though you said you don't have any equipment for unloading logs?  Not many folks are fortunate enough to have their own log van ;)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!