iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingmill Clutchbrake comments.

Started by Woodtik, May 04, 2007, 01:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodtik

Is it just me, or is having the clutchbrake sieze up on the pully despite drenching the thing in lube all the time a frustration for all swingers? I ruined the first one trying to get it unstuck all the time the first 3 months. After that, I resorted to using a large oil filter wrench with grip tape on the inside, which has freed it till the wrench has now collapsed. I've noticed increased chain chatter while slabbing if the clutch is seized, and of course, having to undo the  assembly every time to sharpen or change blades has gotten very old.
Please lend me some of your perspectives on this. I plan on getting a new clutch brake arrangement once it is available, but till then...yeesh!
Thanks for your insights on this forum and best regards.

Woodtik

Dusty I am , to making dust I will return.

Burlkraft

Is that on a Peterson..???

I have had trouble with mine a couple of times and I'm sure it was lack of use, but I have been trouble free since then. If it is a Peterson, I'm sure if you get hold of Chris Browne you'll get an answer.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

Sometimes, I have to jerk backwards on the blade when sharpening, to "release" the brake ???   Sitting for a spell makes it want to stick when ya first start sawing ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jbeat

ON A PETERSON,  IF YOU STOP THE ENGINE BEFORE ALLOWING THE BLADE TO STOP THE CLUTCH WILL  STAY LOCKED UP.  PROBABLY ISN'T ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE CLUTCH, JUST DIDN'T ALLOW IT TO DISENGAGE BEFORE SHUT DOWN.
John B

Captain

Allow the engine to return to idle, and the clutch to disengage before shutting the engine down as John had indicated.  The clutch brake cover will release more routinely in this manner. 

Captain

Woodtik

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Yes, I let the mill idle down and allow the blade to stop spinning before turning off the engine , so I guess I'll keep putting up with it. All it takes, it seems, is the momentum of shutting down to seize it up. When i'm done with a cut, I power down and leave the mill while I  tail the plank anyway. I've spoke to someone at Peterson, and they are working on a new arrangement for new models, so my name is on the list (hope it's the right list!) for an up-grade.
  The clutch has four position choices when you screw it together and lands against the stop full contact where I have it now. Is there a thick lube that won't fling off or reduce in viscosity at the temp of that assembly? Maybe a material that can be adhered to the brake surface so that it isn't metal to metal?

This is the hands down best think tank on milling!

Woodtik

Dusty I am , to making dust I will return.

Thank You Sponsors!