iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Took the Splitter for a ride

Started by UN Hooker, February 19, 2012, 05:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UN Hooker

I had to split a couple buckets of night wood yesterday so I took the camera with me.

The wood lift and the movable wedge.

The lift loaded and ready to split.

The big stuff i load like this. This piece is not BIG but was handy for the pic.

A rear view.

A front view.

The drivers seat.

The forward / reverse and power steering controls.

I have a few changes to make to the front steering wheel arrangement so I can mount the wood lift on either side, then I'll strip it, sand blast and paint it.
        UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

T Welsh

Buck

Thats neat! I'd like to see more of your operation(knuckleboom). Is that a 3400 Ford? Looks like mine.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Al_Smith

Well I'm going to have to say there are some rather ingenious splitters in the world of home builts  .

sawguy21

That is an interesting design to say the least and it works.  I like that. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

blackfoot griz

Love it as well. Any way you can provide us a video of it in action?

UN Hooker

Buck
    The tractor is a 4400 industrial ex-backhoe.

blackfoot griz
    I'll have to talk with my grandson and see if he can make a video of it in action, still pictures are my limit.
         UN
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Logging logginglogging

A bit spendy for the average guy..... Typically I just get a hernia lifting heavy pieces, if i am lucky ehough to be using a splitter at all.

thecfarm

I like the whole set up,loader and all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

UN Hooker

I don't have that many coins into it. Most everything (except the Honda motor and the pulp hook) came from the re-cycle/scrap yards. I'm very lucky to have several good ones not far from me. They always seem to need something fixed or made that they cannot buy, sooo.
                   UN

Al_Smith

For those of us that are prone to tinkering and puttsing  it pays to learn the fine art of dumpster diving .This subject is not taught at any university I'm aware of .To be a master of said craft it takes years of OJT . ;D

UN Hooker

Al_Smith
     Right on!
   Those trailers you see in the background - there full of " boy I could make sumpin out of that someday" stuff.
                  UN

Al_Smith

:D It's been said that the true success of a self appointed inventer is measured by how many days it takes to hold the auction after he's passed on .

It's amazing the amount of "possibilies " a person can amass in a lifetime of dumpster diving .

You never know though .It was two oil field  workers that welded together a bunch of junk and came up with the skid loader so anything is possible . ;)

bandmiller2

A fella need a dumpster hook as some metal dumpsters can be a bear to climb out of.Usally diving is a covert operation and stuck in the bottom when the owner comes out is embarassing you feel like a trapped coon.I have seen splitters with  a V8 engine you could have saved the gas money and bought the wood.Really a self propelled splitter is a good idea as you have the hydraulics and are almost there. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Oh you can see some dandy homebuilds .I've never seen a V8 but I did see a Chevy 6 with a big high volume pump from a dozer or something .That engine didn't have to run much above idle speed .

That was 30 years ago and a monstrosity it was but it did split wood .

On the other end of the spectrum was a 5 HP Briggs with a Chevy power steering pump .Slow as a snail but it split about anything you put in it although by having only what reserve oil that was in the pump housing it ran rather hot after a while .

DeerMeadowFarm

That thing is awesome!  smiley_clapping

Piston

Any log splitter you can drive is pretty impressive in my book  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

UN Hooker

Al_Smith
     The closest I've got to a dumpster is hooking a plate clamp to a 10' piece of I-beam sticking out the end and yanking it out with the loader!!  Most stuff I get is from pieces that come in for scrap. When I see something interesting, I have them set it aside.  JLG boom lifts, street sweepers, packers etc all have great hydraulics.

DeerMeadowFarm
   That decking the wood is stacked on is heavy duty pallet racking. I bought a trailer load and that was some of the odd pieces I had left. It works well, keeps the wood off the dirt and is easy to walk on, not like pallets.

Someone asked how much the grapple will lift - I don't know how many pounds but straight out the back A LOT, to the side at full extension you can lift a good sized stick but its easy to lift a wheel if your not paying attention. When I rebuild the second rear rim I'll load the tires, that will help.

I used the backhoe base and built the boom using the BH cylinders. The grapple is the smallest Valby.
                              UN

DeerMeadowFarm

The more I look at this, the more I like it! What did you use for the rear axle? I'd love to see the steering linkage as well. Just an awesome machine! I agree with Piston's comment!!!

UN Hooker

DeerMeadowFarm

The "axle assembly"  - the hydraulic motor driven planetarys, wheels, tires and beam came from a large JLG boom lift.  I had to narrow the beam to fit.

The steering linkage is what I have to change.  There is an arm attached to the spindle and this is where the steering cylinder attaches.  In this configuration the cylinder is in the way of the log lift when I want to move it to the left side.  When I change it I will be able to use the lift on either side.

UN

Al_Smith

So then you either have a scrap yard or have connections with one ? Golly gee that would be like kid in a candy store for me . 8)

UN Hooker

A couple connections! My wife says grrrr our back yard looks like a junk yard. I tell her its all good "junk".
                                UN

Al_Smith

Well it's kind of like the tree that falls in the woods and nobody hears it. If you stash all the goodys in the woods and nobody sees it nobody is the wiser .Works for me . :D

blackfoot griz

My wife calls it "farm art"

Un Hooker...any luck with getting your grandkid to take a video?

We'd love to see that machine in action ;D

Thank You Sponsors!