iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any GARN users out there?

Started by Magnas, February 12, 2014, 06:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnas

I'm thinking of buying the smallest one, the Garn Junior.  Anyone got a thumbs up?  Or down?

sparky23

I am considering buying the WHS 2000 this fall. I have looked extensively into both outdoor and indoor boilers and the Garn, although pricey, ( $16k + delivery ) seems to have everything else beat in terms of performance and reliability.

What I like most is the "batch burn".  Not being chained to the thing twice or three times a day like most gassifiers is worth every penny for me.

Only downside for me is my dealer rep is 6hrs away and no one else around here has one.

I am however making the 12hr round trip visit to him shortly so if there's anything I can add, I'll gladly share.

Magnas

Thanks Sparky, sounds like we're in the same boat.  I've been researching this extensively, picked an outdoor unit, got denied a permit from townhall, went back to the drawing board, and am now honing in on the Garn.  I like it a lot, a little too big for where I want to put it but I'll find a way.  Do you think it might be too noisy?

martyinmi

Garns are really cool!
If I'd had the financial means to buy one 3 years ago when I bought my P&M 250, I'd be heating with one now.
I cannot fit one in my basement. Even the junior is WAAAYYY too big
My wife and I crunched the numbers and we figured it would have cost us somewhere around $25K to purchase the unit as well as build a small barn to house it in. We ended up spending quite a bit less than half that amount for our (read MY!) P&M Optimizer 250.
The Garn has been tested by the EPA and it fared very well in comparison to other gasification units.

Welcome to the Forum! 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Magnas

Thanks for the advice Marty!  I was all set to buy the P & M but I was denied a permit.  I'm disappointed in my masters ruling, however I can see a silver lining, it made me take a deeper look at the Garn and I really like what I see.  I am very worried about where I am going to put it, how I am going to get it in, how much noise it makes, and moisture/corrosion/mold or anything else that could come from that much water in one place year after year.  I really want to see one in action, videos online are just not enough.  Have you ever seen one?

sparky23

They do sound a bit noisy online but I think the mic placement has a lot to do with that too. Even still, it's only blowing for a couple hrs after the burn then it sits idle.

As for the space, I don't know about the jr but the 2000 requires a 9' ceiling to access the top  hatch. Mines going in a garage with 10' ceilings so I'm ok.

The way I look at it, any drawbacks are negated by not having to go outside in the freezing rain to load an outdoor unit!

jwilly3879

The Town here did a lot of research on the Garn but decided against it because you can only burn well seasoned wood and for our needs would have needed firing twice a day from scratch.

Magnas

Thank you to all the FF-users who helped me find what i was looking for, I would have never figured it all out without hours of searching and reading posts on this site.  I was able to go see a Garn in action, it was very impressive.  The fan is a bit loud for inside the house but I am probably going to try to get it inside anyways.  I just cannot bear to give up any garage space, it's too precious.  I am going into final negotiations with the salesman today.

Magnas

Any Garn guys out there that could advise me on how far I can stretch the "it can burn anything concept"?

r.man

I am under the impression that a Garn, like all gasifiers will only work well with dry wood. If you want to burn anything you need a regular OWB.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

moosehunter

Magnas,
Sense you are in NY, check out the Switzer wood burning system in Dundee NY. It is the unit I intend to use in my new build. Similar to the garn but some differences that I like. Mr. Switzer does not "do" the internet so you would need to go see him or ask for info mailed to you. The price is much better than the Garn. The last I talked to him you could not put his unit in the house as it is not certified (UL?) for inside the home use. I have already built a 16 x 20 building for the boiler and a good supply of fire wood. PM me if you want his contact info.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WmFritz

Moosehunter, what's the time frame for your installation? Sounds like your getting close.

You've piqued my curiosity on that unit and hope you start a thread on your project when you get it delivered.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

r.man

I wonder if there is more than one Switzer furnace because this one does the internet.
http://switzerswoodburning.weebly.com/

r.man

Just took the time to go through the whole site, this is the Dundee NY Switzer.

moosehunter

r.man, That is him. He did not have a web site a few years ago when I went to speak with him. The amount of research this fellow has done is amazing. He was telling me the btu difference between firewood at 20% verses 15% moisture. He has a table top working model of his system that he does testing on. I made an appointment to meet him on a Saturday morning at his shop. I think we talked for over three hours, I learned more about burning firewood than I could process in that short of a time!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magnas

Moosehunter, I am interested to see how your project comes along, I'll share my notes and thoughts as well.  My Garn is almost on a truck from MN so I aint lookin back.  What I meant about "burn anything" was more about hardwood vs soft and such.  Dry and seasoned is a must for the Garn of course, but I am also concerned about creosote and other nuisances and am a bit timid about burning pine and scrap lumber etc., even though I am being told to go ahead and toss it right in.

thecfarm

I have no idea about cresote from burning softwood. I burn just about all softwood in my OWB,but that is the old style. It burns hot and never had a problem with cresote,be it right off the stump or been laying around for 2-3-4 years. I think,and note the think,if you dried just about any type of wood,you would be all set. By dry I mean split and under cover in a building for at least a year. Scarp lumber dired should be Ok too. But what do I know.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magnas

Thanks cfarm, I think I am worrying over nothing.  I am about to drop 30-40 trees of all different varieties and I should be able to burn them all no problems once they are seasoned properly.  I'm going to buy a few cords of already seasoned wood to store for next winter.  I'm also building a wood storage area, trying to figure out where I am putting the boiler, how I am exhausting it, and what to do with the hot water if I am actually capable of producing it.  In other woods I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Thank You Sponsors!