iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Bucket Filtering" used oils / lubricants for diesel fuel

Started by Jasperfield, September 12, 2011, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

I've read the posts re biofuel, vegetable oil, and etc., for diesel; and am interested if any have used some of the bucket-filter systems like "Green Fold Filters" to filter used motor oils / lubricants, and so forth, for use as diesel fuel.

The fellow who developed this system lives near me and uses only this fuel in his diesel vehicles.

If any of you have actual experience with filtering oils & lubricants for use as a fuel for diesel engines, please respond.

These things will also filter cooking oils.

woodyone.john

Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Gary_C

I am not a great fan of using either used cooking oils or used motor oils in diesel engines.

My son does use cooking oils in an auto diesel, but he bought a special heated tank for the grease and has to start on regular diesel and get the engine up to operating temp before switching over to the grease. Same thing on shutdown when he has to clear the grease out of the fuel system before shutting down. You have to do this to avoid the carbon and coke buildup on the rings which can destroy a diesel engine. You can run the same kind or risk and shorten the engine life when burning used motor oils.

So in my opinion, those diesel engines are just to complex and expensive to risk a major overhaul. There just has to be a better and safer use for these waste products.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jasperfield

Thanks for the replies, fellows.

Gary C,
I've heard some of the same complaints about heating the fuel, and so forth. I've decided that, at this point, it's not worth the trouble for me to do.

Thanks

Al_Smith

Over the years there have been countless experimentations of recycling old crankcase oils or cooking oils into usable fuel .

The most amusing was a gent from the NYC area who gathered up old cooking oil from resterants to reuse as bio diesel in a VW Rabbit .It worked,didn't start well in cold weather but instead of belching nastey diesel smoke it smelled  like McDonalds French fries .

From my personal perspective I subscribe to the theory the stuff would better serve as fuel for a waste oil burner .Get the usable heat from it and call it a day .

billyO

Hello all.  I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth (and taking inflation into consideration, I realize that it may be relatively worthless...)

I've been using waste vegetable oil in my '93 dodge 3/4 ton for about 3-4 years now with probably over 150K miles of veggie oil miles (I've got 325K miles on the truck).  The only major problem I've encountered so far is running my tank empty when I was using a 55 gal barrel as my second tank for the first 2 years (I've since replaced that with an 80 gal in-bed tank with a sending unit and fuel level gauge).  My filtering method is cold-upflow filtering followed by a 10 micron and then 5 micron filter.

I have read a bulliten put out by Cummins a while back that said that you can add 5% used motor oil to your tank of diesel (see http://old.pnwis.org/2004%20Events/ULSD2005/ULSD%202005%20Rudisill.pdf), but I've been reluctant to try this yet.

shelbycharger400

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me11.html

i have another one, where the guy uses waste oil as a blast furnace to melt aluminum 
backyardmetalcasting.com

Jasperfield

At this point, I'm quasi-enthused. Nevertheless, I am certain there are benefits for those willing to pursue.

Here's a contact: greengoldfilters.com

The fellow's name is Tom Healy. I met with him and discussed his product extensively. He's a straight-shooter. Thhealy@gmail.com

badbird347

I know i may be beating a dead horse here since you have allready writen off the idea, but me and two other friends run our 7.3l fords on used ATF filtered through two in line filters then into the tank (5 micron, then 3 micron NAPA had them). most of the summer I use 40% ATF per tank and back it down to 20% in the winter. one of my buddies runs 100% in the summer and 50% in the winter, no problems with drivabilty, or durablity. I don't run the 100% because there is a hase of smoke at idle and I can't seem to gather that much ATF. The biggest thing with this method is selection of fluid don't run ATF that had metal in it try get it from a flush machine (they have internal filters) :)

Corley5

I had a guy tell me he was putting filtered used motor oil in his offroad dyed diesel to cover up the red dye and was running it on over the road.  The black oil apparently covers up the red dye  ???  Sounds like trouble to me  :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Reddog

Quote from: Corley5 on September 26, 2011, 04:12:43 PM
The black oil apparently covers up the red dye  ???  Sounds like trouble to me  :) 

Nothing covers up the dye when they analyze for it in the lab.

Al_Smith

Pretty good dye I think a little barrel being 35 gallons would do an entire bulk storage tank at the local refinery .

Those stinkers would go around at one time to farm auctions and places like the Ohio farm science review and snoop in peoples tanks to see if they were running ag diesel .Caught a few too .

Jasperfield

I've had several people tell me that ATF is probably the ideal fluid to use.

badbird347

it's ideal in the fact that it's a lubicant (and it's free for me) which is why I started to use it when ULSD came out, 7.3l injectors are expensive. but the last several posts brought up a good point if your caught with non taxed fuel on the road the fine is heavy :(. but they don't seem to bother with pick-up's 

Taylortractornut

My 94 Dodge company truck started running badl after the ULSD came out.        I put a  quart of  atf or clean motor oil in the tank each fill  up.  Even te  older machines at work do better on it.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!