iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

L L Bean catolog

Started by thecfarm, May 31, 2007, 08:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

L.L.Bean announced that it will changing suppliers for the paper used to print its catalogs,from Verso paper,in Jay,ME to an as yet unnamed supplier.This was International Paper.Rumor has it overseas somewheres.Kinda odd that a Maine based company has to go out of the state to get its paper because a local company could not do the higher percentage of post consumer content.Probaly if Bean would of went to Verso and asked for the above,they would of gladly started to work with them on this issue.Probaly would take a year to get all the bugs worked out,but I feel they would of tried.This paper mill is another mill that is having a hard time with making money.Just boils right down to what is cheaper.All the people that read the above think L.L. Bean is helping the enviroment by being green.More wood products jobs being lost in the state of Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rebocardo

Ironic thing is I stopped buying LLBean and asked them to stop sending catalogs because they no longer had real mens clothes unless you are a yuppie, imo.

grassfed

thecfarm,
When did this  news come out? The reason I am asking is that I googled up this story after I saw your post

Verso Story

The article was dated May 16.

I talked with the a log buyer for Verso for the NH and Vermont area just few days ago on May 20(something) and she said that they will be buying Aspen and softwood pulp at the Jay Mill this summer. She seemed to think that they would need plenty of wood.  She also mentioned that they really wanted certified loggers (LEAP) as suppliers but that since I was a land owner harvesting on my own land I would be granted an exception.
Mike

thecfarm

Don't quite understand your question,grassfed.I only stated what the article said.Came out probaly about the same time as you said,I can't find the paper now.I cut wood on my land and sell to Verso too.Have sold them pulp for years off and on.All land owners are granted the same thing.It's just when I cut on someones else land is when I have to be certifed.I did not say they was closing down.I just said the mill is having a hard time.This is a local mill about 20 minutes from me.There are write ups in the paper about a paper machine shutting down for lack of orders.But so far the paper machine starts back up again.The article that I saw did not mention Bucksport at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grassfed

I was just wondering if the story you mentioned came out after I talked with the buyer. I think that we are talking about the same story. When I first read your post I thought "great two days after I talk to the buyer Jay is going to stop buying aspen" but now I think the person I talked to already heard the news.

I wish that I lived as close to Jay as you. The trucker makes almost as much as I do since I am about 120 miles west of Jay.

Berlin was much closer to me but they shut down two weeks after I bought my skidder ::).

Mike

thecfarm

It's the same story,just worded a little differant.The Jay mill is still going strong,as far as I know.Nothing in the paper about any slow downs.Like I say the trucker has the easy job and the safest one.Doesn't take him to long get a load on to the truck and he's on his way.

Rick Alger

Grassfed,

You could try Roy Aimey's collection yard in Pittsburg, NH. 603-538-6913

a old timberjack

besides brian amey in pittsburg, ( wich they are really good guys ) you could try jerry haynes in colebrook, he has about 20 trucks on the road every day he hauls to rhode island every day, always looking for back hauls  ( yes down to my flat land country ) i know thoes guys well, .......but what the hell, i am off this subject 100 % ha ! ha! ha!!!!!!!!! i dont know what the hell we were even talking about.?????? to many sam adams tonite!!!!! just relaxing!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Thank You Sponsors!