iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

problem with my delta belt/disk sander

Started by jueston, August 12, 2012, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jueston

so I just got a new(to me) delta 4inch belt 6inch disk sander that has been sitting in a shed for 5 years or so, it worked when i got home but after a little sanding the disk stopped while the belt kept spinning, after I turned it off I could move the disk independently from the belt. I tried to take it apart a little bit to see if I could get to the problem, I think it might just be the belt going from the motor to the disk which slipped off the pulley or something... I don't actually know anything about this since this is my first belt/disk sander, but after trying for 15 minutes to figure out how to remove the black cover under the disk which houses the connection between the motor, belt, and disk I could not figure out how it was affixed to the body and concluded it was black magic and thought maybe someone here on the forum owns this model, or one like it, or has had the same problem, and could give me some advice.

thanks in advance for any help you can give.

CHARLIE

You didn't mention the model number. So here is a website that has free manuals. The manual should help you figure out how to get it apart.

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/delta/delta_sander_product_list.html

Here is a manual for a Delta 6" Belt / 9" Disc Sander INSTRUCTION MANUAL 31-695

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/delta/31695_1.html
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jueston

i just looked through the manual online and i think i know what i have to do to get it apart, i will give it a try when i get home from work.

thanks charlie  8)

Misfit

I have a 31-460 if this is the same model you have. The sanding disc is held onto a shaft by an allen bolt. It sounds like this might have worked loose.
There is a notch in the top of the black cover. You'll need to line up the allen bolt on the wheel with the notch in the black cover in order to reach in with a long allen key to get to the bolt.
If the bolt is tight, loosen it and take off the sanding disc. You'll be able to see whether or not the belt that spins the shaft is broken. You'll also be able to see the 2 screws that hold the black cover on.
Hope this helps......
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Warbird

Take some pics as you go.  I'm interested in seeing what the inside of one of those looks like, too.

jueston

thanks everyone for their help, it was the set screw, which I could have just tightened, but I removed it so that I could clean all of the residue off of the disk.
the disk was good and stuck on there and took a lot of spinning and pulling to get it off but it came off and I took a picture of the screw that I was looking for and the belt behind it, but they are blurry and looked very much like the manual, so I will not post them. 

1woodguy

Bought one that looks like yours new at lowes about eight years ago left it in the box several months one day thought I would use it
The big Allen wrench was inside it when I started it up teeth on belt came off
Had it to long to take back to lowes
Put flat vacuum cleaner belt on it that didn't work
Tried a round type vac used it until I got right belt for it it broke
On the one I had pulley(cog gear) the belt went on was black plastic junk so made one that fit
At the time was making a lot of mechanical wood toys lots of sanding
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Thank You Sponsors!