iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440 dozer

Started by Crossroads, February 21, 2019, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I found a JD 440 dozer with a gas engine and a logging winch for what seems to be a reasonable price. I haven't looked at it in person, but it sounds pretty small. Has anyone had any experience with one? Are they to small to be of any real use pushing dirt? I think it would be plenty for the size of timber that's on my place, but it I can't really do any pushing with it. I can get a logging winch for my tractor for about half the price. Also, is that 2 cylinder gas engine any good?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

moodnacreek

The engine is the least of you worries, no better engine made. [But it could be worn out]  So 1959 +-, lotta years.  Pins, bushings, idlers sprockets, rails [track links], clutch, reverser, radiator,,gas tank and FINAL DRIVES. If you don't know this machine personally run or pay very little.

ejb17

I have a JD 420,430 and 1010 crawlers. The 2 cyl will be fine. It is the undercarriage and final drives you need to be concerned with. Just remember it is not a D9 Cat! Check the tracks for pin and bushing wear. If the bushings are worn through they will need to be redone. To do both sides will probably run you in the 2k range. Next the final drives need to be in top order. Check all the housings for cracks or welds. When they get loose they can crack and break. Make sure it steers in both directions. If not the steering clutches have either rusted together or are whipped. Would be about 600 per side for clutches and seals.
The 440 was a slightly updated version of the 420 & 430 with beefier final drive housings. Not a bad machine as long as you stay within its means. It can grade roads, drag logs, and do other light tasks very well. Also, due to its small size you can make your way in and out of the woods readily.
One last thing, if it has a reverser unit never have the main tranny in reverse and the reverser in reverse at the same time.
USA - Believe in it, or Be Leaving it!
2005 LT40G28

Jim H

I've got a 430 tractor with the 2 cylinder. My dad bought it new 58 years ago, The hour meter broke in the 60's at 922. Never been inside the motor and it runs great. ass others have said the u/c and final drives would what I would be most concerned about.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Crossroads

I went to look at it and it seems pretty straight. The sprockets look good, it ran good and steered good. The pins are worn about and 1/8" on the inside and don't appear to have been turned. The radiator looks good with no dirt plugging it. The tracks look a little beat up and bent with one pad broken. He's asking 6200 for it. What would be considered cheep? 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Trapper John

So what would happen if you have tranny and reverser both in reverse?  

uler3161

I have the diesel version (2-52 detroit) with 6 way blade (hydraulic in 4 directions) and reverser. It's the only dozer I've ever ran, but I can say it's a little on the small side to push dirt very fast.

I think I paid 5k for mine, though it wasn't running as good as it should have been so that might have been the reason it wasn't more. One cylinder only had 100 psi compression! Got that fixed and it's doing pretty well. It's a great size to haul behind a 3/4 ton. I had considered a D2, but the 5 roller undercarriage on the deere was more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Undercarriage on mine was a little ratty. Decent sprockets, but I think they put the tracks off a 350, which isn't supposed to be compatible. But I think they were wore out enough that they fit right. At some point I intend to rectify that.

If it comes with a winch, that might not be too bad of a price. 

I'd recommend going to jdcrawlers.com if you haven't already. Lots of resources there.

1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

richhiway

they are nice little machines. It is rare to find one that has not led a hard life. People tend to overwork them. Dozers are wearing out expensive parts every time the track turns, so unless you just want to appreciate one for what they are stay away. If you need to move dirt with any confidence you need a heavier machine. Most of these little dozers in that time frame were made to pull farm implemets in soft soils. They were adapted to be dozers and are geared to high. With all that said America made some great equipment back then,amazing that it's still working today. 

If you look at some of my posts you can find some video of a T-6 international I used for a few projects. 

A good 4x4 compact tractor will do most things faster,better and cheaper.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Crossroads

Thank you for the information, I think I'm going to pass on it. The winch was the most important aspect of it for me and it's not working. 

bandmiller2

Everything the guys said is the truth. Crawlers are heart breakers. Anything you can do on rubber is better. For yourself on your property, they work well in the woods, especially if your a decent mechanic and welder. I have a 420 5 roller dozer and have had an Oliver OC-6 and deere MC. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

Mine is a 310 f case loader. Rebuilt the whole machine in 1986-1988. Spent $14000.00 on parts and machine shop then.  Also have 340 ih 6 way gas doezer that need final work, steering and engine. Probably never do it.

Crossroads

Welding and twisting wrenches isn't an issue, I've been a millwright for 16 years. The problem in that area is that I don't have any of my equipment accessible at the time because it's all buried in storage. One of these days I'll have the shop on the homestead set up for something other than a living area 😉 in the meantime the lil 18 horse Kubota is gonna earn its keep helping me get there. 

olcowhand

Quote from: Trapper John on February 21, 2019, 03:50:32 PM
So what would happen if you have tranny and reverser both in reverse?  
Maybe it's like "Crossing the Streams"; "It would be bad......."
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

trooperTdiesel

size wize a jd 440 is real close to a JD 350
some under carrege parts swap but not all of them.
we have 2 loader versons of the 440, a worn out gas and a diesel verson we got in the last few years. that has requerd the buying of ear plugs in bulk....being a 2-53 jimmy.
it would take a rather big wheel loader to lift what the 440 can, a green 24" fir 25' long is no small thing. but the trade off is the ground around the MD mill is allways tore up in winter, and even summer some times.
we also have a 350 with the hyd 6 way dozer blade and the winch its good for tag teaming a larger log up hill, gerrett 15 in frunt with the arch to lift the big end, JD 350 in rear.
brace the dozer on a stump and it will pull a lot more then it should, but its rather hard on it....and the
9/16" cable, as well as the person running it getting beat around.
its real good for tight spaces, final grading, brush clean-up or other small tasks, on a small scale.
you get over a few acers and a excavater with a proper brush rake, will clear and stack brush much faster and cleaner.
the reverser on the 350 is far better then the 440. i dont think it was standerd equip, even for the 350.
its more or less a early verson of what JD now calls a power reverser, gives the ability to go back and forth like a hydro trans, but the hours per gal is like a manual trans as its allways direct drive.
they use a auto trans thats 1 to 1 in bolth directons, with a cluch not a torque converter. to get hard lock up.
many Garrett 15s
have a 128 5'x10'x30' MD mill.
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.
you say David Wallace to Ron H, he will know me....lol
2 JD 440 loaders, B7100 tractor, 3 350 J\D dozers 
and many fords and isuzus

Trapper John

Interesting discussion about small dozers, a lot of knowledge and experience out there.  I have two JD 1010 's  both diesel and have found them very useful around town or in the woods.  How does the 1010 compare with the 440 or 350?  
Another question concerns wrenching.  I have an oil leak on a reverser and I plan to tackle it this spring.  I assume its main seals and I am thinking just replace them and main bearings and put the machine back together.  The reverser operates OK except for the leak.  However an experienced mechanic told me I should go through the entire reverser and replace everything since it was already out of the tractor.  I have the shop manual but I don't know if I am capable and equipped to handle such a project.  But it does make sense to rebuild it or have it rebuilt.  Any folks out there who have rebuilt reversers?     John

moodnacreek

On a 440 wheel the reverser is in the case so you have to split the tractor.  There are 2 over center clutches in there behind the main clutch. A project like this is often the beginning of the money pit.

Thank You Sponsors!