iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my log cabin project

Started by Rokky Rakkoon, August 13, 2007, 08:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokky Rakkoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbHzt-HzQ1M

here is a picture and a patched together video/slideshow of the cabin i've been working on for the last few years. when i first started, my only plan was to build something out of logs, and at first it appeared it was going to be a garage to put my truck in over the winter. by the time i was finished, it has become my workshop/studio.
  . it was a learning-as-you-go project and i made plenty of mistakes and alterations along the way. i used two 14 inch saws, the first was a poulan i found in my neighbors trash and later replaced by a k-mart mcculloch. my total cost so far is about $1500, more than half of that was for roofing materials. 
   the one scene where i left the saw in the tree and ran...the tree was starting to go and the saw was pinched in...so i ran like hell!  the other scene where i pulled the tree down with a chain, i had it cut seemingly all the way through and i was a little nervous about what it was going to do if i stuck the saw in there again., so i pulled it down.
  i think the final major addition will be a log garage to the left end. i'm a little nervous submitting this for perusal by the pros here......but....commentary welcome.   :)   rr

Jeff

I was absolutely totally entertained and impressed.  Thanks for that! Your forest type looks to be close to what mine is near De Tour Village
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Nice job, and welcome to the forum...
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum. No need to be bashful, that is a fine job. The veranda looks like a great place to spend an afternoon with friends. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Great documentary on the start to end, with details in between. Good on you to remember to record the work and dedication it takes to get started and keep going. The end results are looking great.
Hope you find plenty of time to enjoy that cabin.

The snow pics are the best.
When it is hot, I always wish for snow.
When it is cold without snow, I wish for snow.
When it is cold with snow, I never wish for hot.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Great! Well Done! And it sure does look similar to Jeff's U.P. property.
~Ron

Rokky Rakkoon

Quote from: Jeff B on August 13, 2007, 09:33:15 PM
I was absolutely totally entertained and impressed.  Thanks for that! Your forest type looks to be close to what mine is near De Tour Village

thanks everyone for your nice comments. i had to google "de tour village"  (still not sure what it is/means :)). it appears to be in chippawa county? my woods are in the chassell/baraga area. 

Jeff

Yep, in Chippewa county. When you run out of Michigan mainland to the east, yer there.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Great job !

Nice cabin !

Your slideshow sure makes it look alot easier than I bet it was :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Norm

I sure enjoyed the y-tube video. Nice job and welcome to the FF. :)

Mike_P.

Great job on the cabin and video.  I really enjoyed it.

Mike

Burlkraft

Rokky,

That was awesome.... 8) 8) 8)

Nice work and a great video too.....

I know a guy here that's goona do the same thing, but I'm sure it's goona be a lot bigger...... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

DWM II

That was fun rokky, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard the forum.
Stewardship Counts!

Kevin

Great work on the cabin and video!

Thank You Sponsors!