iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

16' x 32' tf cabin

Started by tmroper, November 17, 2009, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmroper

I would like to build a 16'x32' tf addition to my shop and am wanting to start figuring the sizes of the timbers.  I have been searching through the old post for sizes.  Has anyone built similar to this size or reccomend any book for sizing timbers?  I am in Mt so will probably use lodgepole pine to cut timbers from. I think the roof will be 7/12 pitch w/ 8' walls.

Rooster

Hey there,

Could you give more specifics?

How many bents w/ spacing?

Trusses or common rafters?

Loft area for storage?

Thanks,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

tmroper

Thanks Rooster for your reply
Sorry about not giving the specifics.
-First off the snow load in the area I am in is 28.2 psf
-The building is going to be used to add onto a shop that is 16x32 and is built on skids so that I can move it if the day      comes.
-16' side is of course gable end
-# of bents has not been decided.  What do you suggest?
-I am going to use common rafters.
-The walls in the existing shop are 8' and it is stick framed
-Loft area would definitely be nice for storage.  I am using it for a saddle shop so storage would be a plus.

Thank you for your help.

Piston

Have you seen the shed project in Sobon's book?  It sounds like that is similar to what you would like to build.  In his book he says you can go up to 16' wide by increasing the tie beams to 8X10's, and have up to 12' bent spacing, so you could use 4 bents spaced to give you 32'. 

I have a model drawn up in Sketchup that is 14'X24' with 3 bents that would give you a good idea of what I am referring to.  I just can't seem to figure out how to post a picture of a Sketchup model, I tried uploading with the java uploader butt it still said the file size was too big.  I'll keep working on it. 

FYI, in my frame the posts, ties, top plates, and sills are 8x8's just for reference.  I used a combination of Sobon's shed and the plan in "14 Small Timberframes" put out by the guild (www.tfguild.org)  it has been extremely helpful for planning. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

Alright I think I figured it out.....

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Rooster

I have a suggestion that you may not have thought of... You said that  you are going to build the TF addition on skids to move if need be in the future.  If this is the case, have you thought about making it significantly taller than your shop, and have indepentent roof systems, instead of being confined to the heigth of the shop?  This allows you to have a taller building with possibly having two stories for the same footprint.

You can never have enough room/space!!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

tmroper

Piston
Thanks for the great info, that is one cool drawing thanks for posting.  I need to try and get a copy of that book.
I like your dog in the avatar

Rooster
I thought about making it tall was just wondering how it would look and how easy it would be to move.  We have move tons of sheds and barns around the ranch ourself but never anything taller than 8' walls.  We use a stack hand to move them it works great.  It has a chain belt on it that pulls the building right up on it after you have lifted it a bit.

Thank You Sponsors!